Sign in to follow this  

For those curious about this brake line

These are the tusk brake lines from rocky mountain. They do indeed have galfer printed on them mysteriously. When I get my bike back from shop I'll be testing them on the front and back. The front will be stock rotor with new braking cm46 brake pads. The rear will be a new galfer rotor and the new pads. I will keep people posted once they are on. These come with new banjo bolts and washers as well.

1402445087344.jpg

1402445122991.jpg

1402445144245.jpg

I have yet to try different brake lines. Im like the only one that seems to think my brakes work fine. I prob just ride too slow.

• Like 4

I have yet to try different brake lines. Im like the only one that seems to think my brakes work fine. I prob just ride too slow.

my bike is an 01. I just believed it was time to swap out the old oem brake lines. These will probably be the last i put on for a long time. Has nothing to do with how fast you ride lol. I'm slow too.
  • Like 2

I ride an 01 as well and went with the Galfer braided front line and noticed a big improvement over stock right away. Could be my old cable was swollen internally, or just that I had air in the line that got bled out when the new cable went on. Who knows. I do know it made for a much better brake feel.

I put the Tusk brake lines on my 03 CR about 3 months ago.  It made a huge difference in the firmness of the brakes.  Way better feel at the lever and pedal.  Was a pain to bleed initially but all new lines are in my experience.  

Or too fast.  Brakes just slow you down.

If you replace them you will notice the improvement

Ive felt it, its a good feeling. More sensitive to input. A little more confidence in your brakes. Id be sold on them if i wasnt confident in my current brakes. Probably one of those things you never wanna live without once you have them, i bet. Yet i resist!  May be from a bad experience on a kx60 in a parking lot. Haha. Stupid thing.

I ordered the red Tusk lines last week, and noticed the Galfer markings as well. Has anyone compared them to the higher priced Galfer brand lines?

I ordered the red Tusk lines last week, and noticed the Galfer markings as well. Has anyone compared them to the higher priced Galfer brand lines?

From reviews on rocky mountain they seem to be the same.

I wonder why Tusk/Gal feel better - what is the mechanical reason?

to be honest I don't know if there really is. Maybe inside the line is thinner and allows more pressure to build up without putting much effort into the lever or pedal to resulting in a more sensitive brake feel. That's my thoughts on it. Or people are like me and never had the oem replaced and they are just worn out and the new lines just "seem better". Along with brake pads, rotor or worn out reeds.

Rebranding and purchasing power. 

Buy 10,000 items and you can get those items at substantial discounts from the manufacturer.  If you've got the dealer/distributor network to sell those 10,000 items at less than the manufacturer sells 1 for, then hey, everyone wins.

Manufacturer sold a ton of parts (Sales guy is enjoying a nice bonus i'm sure).

Distributor makes money, got parts for cheap and marks them up to their customers.

Customer pays less for the same part.

I ordered the front and rear tusk braided lines for my bike and I saw the same thing.  They are just galfer lines.  I had an issue with the front though.  The rubber shielding that is on part of the line to make it rigid did not extend far enough down the hose and as a result I could not get it to pinch with the holder that is on my lower fork leg.  Had to switch back to the stick rubber hose on the front.

From reviews on rocky mountain they seem to be the same.

to be honest I don't know if there really is. Maybe inside the line is thinner and allows more pressure to build up without putting much effort into the lever or pedal to resulting in a more sensitive brake feel. That's my thoughts on it. Or people are like me and never had the oem replaced and they are just worn out and the new lines just "seem better". Along with brake pads, rotor or worn out reeds.

The braided lines reduce expansion under pressure. Rubber lines have a little give to them when you squeeze the brakes and can make for a "mushy" feel.

• Like 1

I ordered the front and rear tusk braided lines for my bike and I saw the same thing. They are just galfer lines. I had an issue with the front though. The rubber shielding that is on part of the line to make it rigid did not extend far enough down the hose and as a result I could not get it to pinch with the holder that is on my lower fork leg. Had to switch back to the stick rubber hose on the front.

I had no issue with the holder. I have them cycra universal number plate. It comes with a holder you drill into the number plate with setting screws. Plus I had to remove the stock holder for the plate to fit on there

I had no issue with the holder. I have them cycra universal number plate. It comes with a holder you drill into the number plate with setting screws. Plus I had to remove the stock holder for the plate to fit on there

My issue was not with the upper holder by the number plate. The issue was down on the lower fork leg protector where there is a piece that pinches the brake line to hold it in place. The rigid casing around the line did not extend down far enough to that lower pinch clamp and thus was too skinny to be pinched and held in place.

Rebranding and purchasing power.

Buy 10,000 items and you can get those items at substantial discounts from the manufacturer. If you've got the dealer/distributor network to sell those 10,000 items at less than the manufacturer sells 1 for, then hey, everyone wins.

Manufacturer sold a ton of parts (Sales guy is enjoying a nice bonus i'm sure).

Distributor makes money, got parts for cheap and marks them up to their customers.

Customer pays less for the same part.

This is pretty close to spot on regarding the lines...

Tusk rotors ARE NOT Galfer rotors though....

My issue was not with the upper holder by the number plate. The issue was down on the lower fork leg protector where there is a piece that pinches the brake line to hold it in place. The rigid casing around the line did not extend down far enough to that lower pinch clamp and thus was too skinny to be pinched and held in place.

oh alright. Hmm. Well maybe if you buy a spare clamp piece and pack some shoe goo into it and let it harden might do the trick... lol just a idea