Sign in to follow this  

Advice on front brake lever location?

Hey guys I was curious about the location of your brake levers. I have mine angled down to when the throttle is fully closed and my fingers then touch the brake. Is this the ideal location?

I have no idea what is considered ideal.  I just set my levers where I find the happy medium where they are easily accessible while both sitting and standing.  It usually ends up a lot more "forward" than "down".

I think you should probably set them at a point where they are accessible when practicing proper body positioning.  In other words the lever should adjust to you, not you to it (assuming you body positioning is correct).  At least that's my thoughts...

I personally think it's ghey when the levers point straight down at the ground as I have seen on occasion, but hey....whatever works.

Do what works for you :thumbsup:

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

I have no idea what is considered ideal. I just set my levers where I find the happy medium where they are easily accessible while both sitting and standing. It usually ends up a lot more "forward" than "down".

I think you should probably set them at a point where they are accessible when practicing proper body positioning. In other words the lever should adjust to you, not you to it (assuming you body positioning is correct). At least that's my thoughts...

I personally think it's ghey when the levers point straight down at the ground as I have seen on occasion, but hey....whatever works.

Do what works for you :thumbsup:

thanks I'll practice on a stand n see what I come up with

If you were standing off to the side of my bike looking at the bikes profile, you would see that my levers are angled to about 4:30PM (if that makes sense). People have commented to me that this is not correct, that the levers should be close to straight forward (3PM).

I like the 4:30 location though as it works perfectly for me either sitting, or standing. I say put them where they are most comfortable for you, and least likely to get broken if/when you drop the bike. That is the other consideration-falling.

Hey guys I was curious about the location of your brake levers. I have mine angled down to when the throttle is fully closed and my fingers then touch the brake. Is this the ideal location?

I second wut the others say--angled down a bit so they are easily squeezable standing as well as sitting.

The Great RC preferred brakes.he had to pull the lever nearly to the bar to lock up the wheel. I wondered bout this for a long time then the thought hit me; so he can keep his hand gripping the bar more as he's braking hard. When I realized this, it made me wanna try soft brakes..

I second wut the others say--angled down a bit so they are easily squeezable standing as well as sitting.

The Great RC preferred brakes.he had to pull the lever nearly to the bar to lock up the wheel. I wondered bout this for a long time then the thought hit me; so he can keep his hand gripping the bar more as he's braking hard. When I realized this, it made me wanna try soft brakes..

is it normal to be using some throttle while still braking? It happens every time I use front brakes.

I like the 430 position as well.. I ride with my middle finger on the lever most of the time.sitting or standing It works for me. Here's my xr4, my brother's 450x and my nephew's xr2 all with the same lever position. IMG_20140610_190216.jpgIMG_20140610_190216.jpg

is it normal to be using some throttle while still braking? It happens every time I use front brakes.

All the time.  In the past several years, I've found myself braking while turning and on the throttle all the time.  I especially drag my rear brake while on the throttle, mainly in terrain where I brake slide a lot. 

But every time you use the brakes, I'm not sure.  I didn't start doing this til I began riding in the A class, and it wasn't intentional  as much as it was a natural progression as I became faster.

I am angled down also. Looking at any of my motorcycles or mountain bikes, you can put a straight edge from the top of the bar to the top of the lever and it will be in the same plane as the top of the front tire.

Since 4:30 is 45deg down, I would say mine are 4:00 or 30deg down.

I am also about 4-4:30 myself.  I find 3 causes my wrist to be in an awkward angle in an actual riding position (even sitting).  I have seen some at 5pm and that is too aggressive in my opinion, but around 4 sounds about right.

Did it ever occur to you to just put wherever it felt comfortable

yea but I thought their was a specific place you put it. Only problem with my lever is that my fingers are too big to squeeze it without hitting my other fingers. I guess I can try to slap my old asv shorty lever on there but not the assembly.