Sign in to follow this  

Need some help with my 05!

Hey guys! So I need some input here, I had my bike running and was readjusting the clutch. I had the bike on the stand while doing so. I noticed a little but if smoking coming from what seemed to be by the left side of the motor. It looked more like steam conversion than smoke. Anyways I found the overflow tube it was coming from, followed it back and it seems it's the radiator overflow. With that said, I took the bike off the stand, let it cool down and took the cap off. Radiator fluid might be a smidge lower, hard to tell, it's no milky so it doesn't seem as oil is being thrown into the mix. Normal color etc. what seems to be coming out if the tube though looks more like water, it's not gas I know that much.

I started the bike again and same thing once the bike warmed up it started to drip out a little bit being in the kickstand, not the regular stand.

I had not noticed anything peculiar while riding Sunday...but I wasn't necessarily looking. Is it possible I have a blown head gasket?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402446557.785243.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402446575.340397.jpg

Actually the fluid looks to have a hint of blue, which is the color of my coolant. Sooooo am I screwed or what..

Is it possible I just let the bike idle too long and it started overheating? I've never really let it idle that long before and not move. And when I did shut it down to cool off I only waited maybe 5 minutes. Should I change my oil to see if there is coolant mixed in with it?

Edited by jirish17

Could have been too full or you need a new cap. Loosen the oil drain bolt and let a small amount flow into a clean container to check for water in the oil or if due drain the oil completly.

Well I haven't added any to it in weeks, and it just started happening, only reason I dont think it was too full. Cap maybe? I did drop the bike on it's right side a few times the other day...but still I can't imagine that's it

If the bike is just idling you will first notice the header turn cherry red then your radiator will start to steam. If you turned it off right away and let it cool down you should be ok. Honestly, I think your bike is fine based on what you have said. With that said, every time you let your bike idle for extended periods of time it WILL start to overheat.

Yeah I rode it for 10 min through the neighborhood with a bottle taped to the framed and nothing came out. Like honestly didn't even think of it overheating. Hopefully I didn't let it run too long. I mean it was hot enough that it was steaming, but not from the radiator

Check your oil dip stick and make sure it's not milky white (water in the oil)

I did check the dipstick, looked normal from what I could tell. I was thinking about maybe changing the oil tomorrow just so I could check

You should be fine. Just be sure not to let it idle for long periods of time in the future.