Sign in to follow this  

Do I Need to Machine the Heads Flat?

I bought a 2003 with a known head gasket issue.  I replaced the lower jug clyinder and head gaskets.  It was running okay. (It was a bitch to start -but I will leave that for another day.)  Then all the suden the radiator is leaking the water into the block again.  I am not sure what happened.  It might have gotten hot.  I dont remember white smoke coming out of the tail pipe.  But there is water in the block.

Do I need to take the head and cylinder jug to a machine shop and have them flattened.  I did not do it the first time when I replaced the gaskets.  (Which could have been my problem all along)  I am going to replace the gaskets again but I want this to be the last time.

The head and jug need to be perfectly clean. Normally I surface them both myself using a piece of oiled 500 grit wet or dry on a piece of plate glass.

Check to make sure the studs in the case arent pulling out. Its not common, but not impossible either. And like Koolaid said, use the Honda gaskets, although Ive never had a problem using Moose gaskets.

Pull the dowels and get the jug and head good and clean. That black rubbery stuff will wash right off with carb cleaner, so no need to scrap at it. Another thing that works actually better than the plate glass is a remnant piece of granite from a counter top. Check it with a straight edge first, but Ive got a piece I got for free thats been perfect for this sort of thing.