Sign in to follow this  

ttr 230 suspension upgrades.....nightmare or doable?

I recently got the chance to ride a ttr230, and I have to admit I enjoyed it, but I am a newer rider. My wife was even able to learn to ride on it as well and really liked it. But as everyone says, the suspension, both front and rear, left a lot to be desired. I have a family friend willing to sell a great conditoned bike for very low price and was wondering how much of an ordeal upgrading the forks and rear shock would be? This would be a 2nd bike left at my inlaws farm, and I love the thought of a low maintenance bike like the 230. I would probbly need a shop to do the work as its  out of my league. Are these upgrades something that most shops could handle? and if anyone has done them, what was the final cost? thanks!

to answer the question, yes. it's doable and it'll probably be a nightmare. I think it comes with a throwaway shock witch means upgrading it would mean replacement witch usually doesn't come under 700 for just a shock. yes. painful. ride it a lot and then give it a bath and sell it and let someone else have the same great experience learning as you did, then get a ttr250 or a creampuff xr250 or a drz250 because they have many of the same pleasant qualities as the 230 you like with a touch more power, an actual frame, and suspension parts that are designed to be able to be serviced. the cost difference between selling one and getting another should be a lot less than upgrading the 230 and you will have a nicer result than you could ever accomplish with the 230. the bike swap will give you an upgrade to pretty much everything including suspension. after you get it, find out what sag is and set it. and get a manual

The forks can be stiffened up for little cost.

Get a 1 inch PVC spacer and preload the top of the spring, and replace the fork oil with 15 weight. Takes a few minutes per side, and is a very noticeable change.

The shock is soft, and not much can be done inexpensely.

i guy where i ride did this...you take the front end off a 250 the entire front end and replace it 

his biggest problem was finding a 250 front end...all were on bikes being parted out so.

If you read my post on emulators for the ttr230, it really made a big difference, and was relatively cheap and easy to install, the emulators took care of the compression dampening making it adjustable and the 15wt oil tamed the rebound alot.

replacement springs are also offered for larger weights fortunately my son is in the target weight for factory springs. The 250 fork swap isn't so easy since or cheap since the top of the frame has to be cut to accept the yz upper bearing which is larger than the ttr

check out dirtriders modifications. I am shopping preload adjusters right now from teknik austrialia but haven't wanted to spend the $ and ship here since the forks are working so well right now.

If you read my post on emulators for the ttr230, it really made a big difference, and was relatively cheap and easy to install, the emulators took care of the compression dampening making it adjustable and the 15wt oil tamed the rebound alot.

replacement springs are also offered for larger weights fortunately my son is in the target weight for factory springs. The 250 fork swap isn't so easy since or cheap since the top of the frame has to be cut to accept the yz upper bearing which is larger than the ttr

check out dirtriders modifications. I am shopping preload adjusters right now from teknik austrialia but haven't wanted to spend the $ and ship here since the forks are working so well right now.

What about the rear?

All I found for the rear to help is replacement springs for weight and a progressive rate spring, but that dosen't do much for compression and rebound adjustment. Next step would be an aftermarket unit.  My biggest concern when starting this was due to my son losing control a couple of times in the forest from front end bounce. So far the rear shock has kept up and not posed a problem, I have no intention of turning a ttr into a motocross bike, just a reliable trail/forest bike where we ride most. After much reasearch I found extensive information in australia and  brazil on these bikes where they modify to the max and race them regularly. Hopefully some of these parts will migrate north. Check out some of the videos of them on YT. :ride:

again i'm sure all these upgrades are dandy. i'm still standing by the notion that a bike swap would be no more expensive than probably one of these upgrades and substantially more gratifying than the best outcomes from all the best upgrades together. it's not worth any of it unless your convinced this 225 is your forever bike. if not the bike swap would be substantially smarter and better in every way. is there apprehension about selling and buying another bike?