Sign in to follow this  

brand new bike stalling?

Hey all I'm new to the forum and new to bikes in general, looking for some help, just purchased a brand new from the dealer 2012 DRZ400s(left over stock) had it out touring around and the bike would randomly stall? It started happening when I stopped and shut the bike off to talk with my bro, it would not start unless the choke was wide open, when I push the choke in it stall out again. So I let it sit for bit eventually started no problem ran fine than 10-15mins later was 3rd gear on the throttle and felt it not firing than stalled., same thing sat for a bit and stalled. This happened a few times while out, so my question is what are the most common issues to cause this? Would 2year old gas cause this maybe? Any suggestions is helpful

Cheers

Take it back to the dealer right away. A whole lot of things can be wrong. Like stator or electric system or carb fuel issues. Make them fix it so you dont have to. When it comes time for you to have to then come here for all the many comments on how to fix it. Troubleshooting over the net is a task for anybody.To many varibles. Hands on from a mechanic is best while under warranty.

• Like 4

Needs a carb cleaning,  pilot jet is most likely partially blocked imo.

Gas is so bad these days,  even 2 month old gas can start gumming up the small passages. 

Edited by 150ron
  • Like 2

Take it back and make them fix it. I think its a bunch of bs when dealers sell used bikes they dont even look them over good. When i bought mine i soon found out my upper shock mount nut was backed off and was about to fall off and the clutch adjustment on it was shit. Take it back and let em know.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I was most definitely going to be taking the bike back to the dealer as I would expect a brand new bike to run flawless and not stall 7 times on the first 2.5hrs of riding. Now has anyone had issues with dealers not willing to do anything in this regard? How much time do I have to have the issue fixed?(If  read the manual right I have a 1 year warranty on defects?)  Say I take it to the dealer they look it over figure the fixed the issue and it keeps happening, I'm just looking a head here in case the problem is not fixed the first time I don't want to be left putting $$$ into a brand new bike. What would be the first thing they should look at so I can suggest what I believe the issue is and they can start there. I'm hoping the issue can be solved before the weekend as I had some tours planned.  

By the way I'll get some pics posted here soon of course!!!

thanks again

-GWR

Thanks guys! I was most definitely going to be taking the bike back to the dealer as I would expect a brand new bike to run flawless and not stall 7 times on the first 2.5hrs of riding. Now has anyone had issues with dealers not willing to do anything in this regard? How much time do I have to have the issue fixed?(If  read the manual right I have a 1 year warranty on defects?)  Say I take it to the dealer they look it over figure the fixed the issue and it keeps happening, I'm just looking a head here in case the problem is not fixed the first time I don't want to be left putting $$$ into a brand new bike. What would be the first thing they should look at so I can suggest what I believe the issue is and they can start there. I'm hoping the issue can be solved before the weekend as I had some tours planned.  

By the way I'll get some pics posted here soon of course!!!

thanks again

-GWR

new = unproven, ie: you get to find the defects/bugs/issues that no one else has noticed yet. 

more than likely it's clogged pilot jet and partially clogged main jet from sitting with fuel for so long. 

you're at the dealer's mercy for whether they say 'bad gas' and charge you shop rates ($60->100/hr) to pull the carb and blow out the jets. 

good news it's only about 20 minutes work for a competent mechanic, with or without the shade tree providing some shelter. 

Take it back and make them fix it. I think its a bunch of bs when dealers sell bikes and dont even look them over good. When i bought mine i soon found out my upper shock mount nut was backed off and was about to fall off and the clutch adjustment on it was shit. Take it back and let em know.

+ 1 accept for...That bike should have been prepped properly.  There's no way in helI would take it back to that same dealer.

• Like 2

+ 1 accept for...That bike should have been prepped properly. There's no way in helI would take it back to that same dealer.

+2 on that one. I dont take shit back to the dealer i bought mine from. Even though they took care of me. The mechanics there are dumb af and i dont trust them if they are gonna leave stuff loose like that
  • Like 1

so they told me it was bone dry no fuel.?.?.? I checked it after it stalled 3 times on me and there was gas still in it to get back to my parents place and I left it there for the night as couldn't make it more than 3km down the road without it stalling again, anyways got the bike back and it is running great so could it really be low/no fuel that caused the problem or maybe they just left old gas in it and got caught on it? Either way I  laughed when they told me that and honestly didn't give 2 s***s just as long as it's running properly now.

• Like 1