Sign in to follow this  

Cr 125 idle problem.

I just got done building the top end on 91 cr125, and when I started it, it idles really high. So I turned the idle screw all the way in and it still idled high. I moved the needle all the way down and the air screw is about 2 turns out and no change. What could be the problem?

Not real familiar with a 91, but if you turned the idle screw all the way in, and it's the type that pushes the carburetor slide up when you do turn it in, then it would idle the engine rpm's up.   

The next thing that comes to mind, is the left side crank seal.

Did it do this before the top end job?

Also, post this in the Honda 2-stroke forum.  There are some pretty sharp members in there.

Check throttle cable routing as the other have stated. Here's what happened to me on the VERY first start after a complete rebuild on my son's cr-125. It did need some tweaks, but the cable routing was the main culprit.

Oh...and there's an easy test. With the bike running turn the bars all the way left and right.....if it revs up and/or down it's your cable routing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08bUhq4mFjo

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

Check throttle cable routing as the other have stated. Here's what happened to me on the VERY first start after a complete rebuild on my son's cr-125. It did need some tweaks, but the cable routing was the main culprit.

Oh...and there's an easy test. With the bike running turn the bars all the way left and right.....if it revs up and/or down it's your cable routing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08bUhq4mFjo

Talk about proper break in  :lol: , i did this on my 05' had both bikes loaded in the back of a truck , my sons bike got hung up with mine unloading and pulled my throttle cable completely out of the adjuster so it was WFO when i started it , kill switch wouldn't shut it down just made it stumble and i bout pissed myself trying to get the plug wire off , bet i got zapped 400 times  :lol:

• Like 2

alright thanks, I will check the cables. Yeah mine does that same thing when I start it and I don't have a kill switch for it haha