Sign in to follow this  

Goodbye my beloved CRF450R...

So tomorrow is the day I bid farewell to my beloved 2005 CRF450R. Wow.....it's just a bike, right?

She has been an amazing and reliable machine since that special day in 2006 when she showed up in my garage. She always starts when I need her to and she's never left me disappointed. Whoever gets her after me will be getting a great bike. It's a BEAST.

But I think the real emotional part for me is all the memories of riding mx tracks, off-road adventures, road trips and camping trips with my boy since he was 8 years old (now 19). I think that's the part I'm going to miss the most. Some of the best times were slowly following him around the track when he had his CRF70 and CR85R. He thought he was flying and was so excited about it when we got back to the pits. It was an every-other weekend ritual for years, and I don't even want to know how much money I spent. But, once he progressed to the CRF250R he advanced so fast that I couldn't keep up any longer without the risk of hurting myself. So I spent much of my time over the last two years watching him ride with his buddies from the sidelines. Which for me can be just as fun at times.

A little over a year ago on March 23, 2013 took a nasty crash and ended up breaking my tib/fib at the knee which required lots of screws and rehab. Ever since that accident I've struggled with the confidence to get back out there on the track. Probably ranking up there in the top three struggles in my 47 years. It's crazy to think how a sport like MX can become such a piece of our individual identity. I've always been that MX dad out there on the track with my son.    

So I guess this is the point, I count my blessings I made it to this point, and I've had the chance to make those memories with my son. Hopefully, he will do the same when he has kids, and if that's the case, I will no doubt be out there.

So what do I do now you ask? I've had some kind of motorcycle in my life since I was 9. So there's no way I'm stopping now. Picked up myself a pretty sweet 2009 DR-Z400SM! For the record, this is the first bike I've ever had in my life that wasn't a Honda!

wow..I didn't mean to ramble like this  :ride:

DSC00895b-SM.jpg sideview_sm.jpg

Jeez. I hope my story doesn't end like that. I'm 45 and have sons 13 and 15. Ride an 06. The youngest and I race MX. I can still smoke both of them. But they're improving rapidly. I'm hitting all of the big jumps at the displeasure of my wife. Everyone says it inevitable that I'll get hurt. How did you crash? What level of rider were you? How many injuries have you had? I work hard at being fit so I can stay in control. It seems that being tired increases your likelyhood of crashing.

Jeez. I hope my story doesn't end like that. I'm 45 and have sons 13 and 15. Ride an 06. The youngest and I race MX. I can still smoke both of them. But they're improving rapidly. I'm hitting all of the big jumps at the displeasure of my wife. Everyone says it inevitable that I'll get hurt. How did you crash? What level of rider were you? How many injuries have you had? I work hard at being fit so I can stay in control. It seems that being tired increases your likelyhood of crashing.

I've been riding since I was 9 and actively mx riding for the past 10 years, so I've had my share of incidents. I've always been in good shape, in fact when the last accident happened I was going to a personal trainer 3x a week. The cause was more of riding over my head for the wet conditions. Totally my fault. Got cross rutted on a jump and yardsale'd it.

I think it has reached the tipping point that if I got back on, I would be riding while worrying about getting hurt. That takes all the fun out of it. I have to work for a living....

But on the positive side looking forward to the SM experience!

Edited by MotoJunkii

I'm not sure how riding in an environment with dirt to fall on, and everyone going in the same direction, to pavement to fall on and cross-fire traffic in all directions.....is safer move?

There are other kinds of off-road riding beside track....

Have fun with he SM.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick
  • Like 2

I think about the potential for injuries for me and my boys every time we head out. It is a somewhat dangerous hobby. But once I'm underway and loving life I forget about it. Staying in control is the key. I'd love to hear advice from you guys on staying out of the E.R.

Oh, and I gave up street bikes for the safety of the dirt, ha!

I gave up street bikes after a little old lady made a left turn right i front of me. I only had enough time to leap up over the top of her car and then rolled 50 yds like they taught us in wrestling. I was bumped up but tankfully I was waering lots of gear and a helmet which was cracked (was back in the 1980's) but the bike was crushed. Way to many distracted nit wits on the road these days for me to ever consider riding street again.

^agreed, it's everybody else you have to watch out for. Between how your clothes smell after getting off the bike, whether conditions having to be perfect to make riding halfway enjoyable(rain heat and such), my obsession with wheelies at the time and my last bike ticket being approx 150 in a 55 I decided to let my cbr go and ride where the police can't catch me.

OP moto might be too much for ya but there's always trail riding...

Of course us honda dirt guys arnt going to like the new bike but as long as you do man. brapppp!