Sign in to follow this  

New owner, big booboo, pleaser help

Hello all,

I recently bought a 2007 rmz 450 and it is the my first dirtbike (although I have other riding experience), I expected to continue lurking on this forum, but two days into ownership I made a dumb mistake and now I'm scared I already broke my bike.

As part of basic maintenance on a used bike I was changeing and flushing the engine oil. MY MISTAKE, I misread the oil requirement as 500 ml, put in just 500ml, attempted to kickstart, now the kickstarter won't kick down and now I realize the manual reads 1  500 ml. 

I am very new to these bikes, and I am lost as to my next move... can I force the kickstarter, is the piston siezed can it be coaxed, is something definately broken piston or kickstarter...

Please any direction or insight would be apreciated, thank you

Did it ever start? If not it wasnt low oil that caused a prob but if it wont kick you definitely have a problem.

Word of advice! Don't ever be scared that you broke your bike. It's a dirt bike. It's going to break! No need to stress. If its broke, fix it and move on and enjoy.

Also, if this is your first 450, it may take a little more effort to kick than you think...

• Like 1

Thanks, I need to relax a bit and try to enjoy the learning curve.

After letting the bike sit for a few hours, the kick starter would move through its stroke again. I have since noticed that after a 5-6 kicks the starter gets very stiff, my instinct is not to force it, so I let the bike sit and it loosens again. ... again not sure what is going on (maybe just not used to the 450), for now its manageable I'll figure it out in time.

Thanks, I need to relax a bit and try to enjoy the learning curve.

After letting the bike sit for a few hours, the kick starter would move through its stroke again. I have since noticed that after a 5-6 kicks the starter gets very stiff, my instinct is not to force it, so I let the bike sit and it loosens again. ... again not sure what is going on (maybe just not used to the 450), for now its manageable I'll figure it out in time.

partner, a 450 is so much compression so keep this in mind. You may be experiencing Top Dead Center. We know it as TDC. At TDC the piston is at the top of the Compression stroke. This is when the kick lever will be hardest to kick over but its the prime spot to get the bike fired up. If it runs great, sounds great, then guess what? IT IS GREAT
  • Like 1