Sign in to follow this  

2007 Yz250f metal filings in oil filter

I just bought a 2007 yz250f, bike is in really nice shape and it was just rebuilt about 10 hours ago. I did the first oil change on it when i got it and the oil was very black. Then i found tiny metal shavings in the oil filter, looks like aluminum. I changed out the oil and put in a new oil filter  hoping to not see more shavings.. Ive put about 3 hours on the bike since i changed the oil and there is shavings in the oil filter again.. im just wondering if this is normal for these bikes or if there is something wrong with my bike. The bike runs perfect, Starts every first or second kick. Its a little hard to see the shavings in the picture but you can see a few of them.

20140610_185608.jpg

It's not so unusual to see a few specs of aluminum in a fresh build. I wouldn't be concerned unless it gets worse.

Okay thanks for the quick reply! :goofy: 

Looks normal. All my YZF's had a fair amount of shavings in the filter from day 1 until I sold them.  I have had several.  You have to remember that the tranny/engine share the oil so most it is from the clutch area.

The alumnium comes from the clutch, and yes it is normal to see some in the filter. Check the clutch basket, and hub for groving and wear. Also check the clutch cush drive for wear by seeing if there is any movement when you try to rock the basket with you hand, there should be no play.

That is not bad at all. Especially if you have several hours on it. If you take that amount of shavings and multiply it times 10 to 20, over a 3 to 5 hour period, then you have serious problem.