Sign in to follow this  

Light kill switch

Does anybody have any advice on how to put a kill switch on my bike that will kill headlight tail light brake light?

i have one to kill my headlight just to reduce the electrical load  off road  plus it looks silly on the trail in broad daylight LOL

I can flip a switch or override it with the brights 

I just assume leave the taillights and brake lights as is

the headlight is easy to switch  the full deal would probably  just take some more wire and maybe a dpdt switch

There are certain times stealth is required.. the last thing I wanna do is give away my position

• Like 3

You know for running errands and such, like stopping by the bank...

628x471.jpg

:smirk:

All kidding aside I would like this if I were on trails more like I used to be. If I were to go at it I would track the headlight and taillight wires and splice in 2 switches that would be mounted on the bars, prob rocker switches or at least covered toggle switches. If you do it please post up how you go about it. 

• Like 4

Just don't get caught with a cutout switch, it is illegal in WI, just replacing the stock muffler on any 2008 or newer motorcycle with an aftermarket one is also illegal now too.

• Like 2

Just don't get caught with a cutout switch, it is illegal in WI, just replacing the stock muffler on any 2008 or newer motorcycle with an aftermarket one is also illegal now too.

I love these as much as you do! LOL

Those DOT lenses on those aftermarket turn signals?!   :lol:

• Like 2

I was looking at it the other day, thinking about running switches from the fuse box. That is until I noticed that three separate fuses control all the lights. One switch and I would have tried it, but not three. If someone does it I really wanna see how they did.

I did mine with a NC relay and a push button toggle switch.  The way mine is setup it cuts the grounds to the headlight and tail light.  I ran into a problem with this setup thou with the DRC tail light with integrated 12'0clock board.  When you cut the ground to the 12oclock board it backfeeds power into the signal circuit so it half-ass lights my front indicators (DRC 602's, LED)  when I cut the lights out.  Its sorta cool in a way, it gives you that "parking light" effect, and also lights the signal indicators on the dash, which is a good reminder that your "not road legal", but if your going for absolute stealth you probably wouldnt want that.  Also another thing to think about, if your riding at night and you cut the lights, your left with the bright white dash light glaring in your face, and pretty much makes you blind if your in the dark, so to truely go stealth youd also have to figure out a way to kill the dash backlight, which I think you could only do by killing the power feed to the dash, which then might have other side effects.  I could probably put some diodes in the rear signal wires to fix the backfeed problem that causes the front indicators to light.

If I were to do it over again, knowing what I know now.  I would wire it up so it kills only the low beam and not the whole headlight.  That way if your in a situation where you need light ASAP, you can quickly flip the high beams on with your thumb, and not have to fumble around trying to find your toggle switch, thats not mounted in such a convenient position as the high beam switch.  I would also cut the power wire to the tail instead of the ground, so that I wouldnt have the backfeed problem I get from having the integrated 12oclock board.

Both grounds are ran to the right shroud area, so cutting both grounds was just an easy way of cutting both front and back lights with one switch/one relay, since the lights are on different circuits/fuses.  My wiring got a bit more involved than the average DIYer would get into thou, because Im sorta picky when it comes to electrical/wiring (being an ex Electrician).  I had half the wire harness between the right shroud and headlight torn apart (I did remove about 4 miles of chinese electrical tape thou!).  Honda has splices inside the wire harness and the Fan ground wire is spliced into the headlight ground wire in the middle of the harness, so I had to tear the harness apart and find this splice, and give the fan its own ground wire, so that the fan would still work when I cut the ground for the headlight.

I used a NC (Normally Closed) relay so that it wouldnt have to be powered to keep the headlights on 99% of the time.  When I push the button, it powers the relay coil, opens the contacts, opening the ground for the headlight and tail light.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Honda shop manual for this bike (its only 50 bucks, one of my cheapest "mods", come on!).  It comes with a good, complete, colored wiring diagram of the bike, and makes planning/executing any electrical work on the bike so much easier.  Plus its priceless if you ever need to troubleshoot electrical problems in the future.  And the service manual in general is awesome and great to have if you like working on the bike yourself, gives you all the proper procedures, torque specs, etc.

P.S.  I may have also intercepted the ground for the flasher too. Cant remember for sure, but its ground wire is right there next to the tail light ground wire, so I cant remember if I intercepted it also or not.  Wouldnt really be necessary thou.  These grounds are behind the right shroud with all the other electrical stuff, they are in a big flat electrical connector that just has a "cap" on it, basically acts as a junction/splice for a bunch of grounds. 

• Like 4

spray them with plastic dip...  you can peal it off if need be... lol 

My goodness. Sounds crazy involved! Might be easier for me to just make little covers for all the lights. Haha

• Like 1

Yea I think I may just fashion some nice covers..

Way easier and pretty much impossible to &%$#@! that up.... I only need them for short time... getting in an out

Yea I think I may just fashion some nice covers..

Way easier and pretty much impossible to &%$#@! that up.... I only need them for short time... getting in an out

If you ride in legal areas and we won't have as many riding areas closed here...

One thing I learned in life is never make assumptions....u assume I want stealth to ride illegal areas you are wrong my friend... my mission has nothing to do with riding ...I don't wanna be seen and that's my trans.... so I just need to move without eyes following me... not tearin up the trails at night !!!?

One thing I learned in life is never make assumptions....u assume I want stealth to ride illegal areas you are wrong my friend... my mission has nothing to do with riding ...I don't wanna be seen and that's my trans.... so I just need to move without eyes following me... not tearin up the trails at night !!!?

Getting to a grow???  ;)

• Like 2

Hahaha my man......right on brow

Hmm, a separate tail/brake light cutout circuit makes it harder to follow if you need the headlight on to vamoose quickly also.   Both can be done.