I've been told different things about washing my 450. The main concern being that I use non diluted Simple Green out of a spray bottle. I've been told that using this product isn't good for the plastics and the cables and fuel lines. I didn't by it when the first person told me, but after a handful told me this I got worried. I don't want to ruin my 16 hour old 2014 CRF450R.

So I'm here to get opinions from the people here. If simple green is actually bad, what is a better or the best alternative?!?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402461503.119289.jpg

I use the simple green with a pressure washer. There can't be much difference between that and a car wash right?! lol

• Like 1

I use the power washer concentrate(heavy duty) simple green. I've used it on my bike since new and have had no problems with any fuel lines, cables, etc.... If I ever did run of out simple green though, I would just use dawn dish soap and it works well too.

• Like 1

A lot of people use shout. The stuff you use on your cloths for stains. To be honest I just use dish soap and a sponge spray it of with the hose. I mean your bike is pretty new so I assume its just dirt your washing off. I don't really see why you would need any harsh cleaners. If my bike isn't spotless when I'm done I don't worry about it either I'm just gonna get it dirty again. I would rather spend my summer riding than spit polishing my bike. I usually do that over the winter. My 2 cents.

Don't let it dry on your fork tubes previous owner said he done it to the bike i have now , washing in the sun in texas and let undiluted simple green dry up . My fork tubes looks like someone splashed acid on them . Cool though more stickers  :p

I used simple green all the time 8 to 12 years ago and always thought the stuff worked great. A few of years ago I bought a BBR pit bike that had a lot of a lot of red anodized parts and started noticing that those parts were fading in color. At first I thought it had something to do with the heat because most of the pieces were the tappet covers and parts of the silencer but after a little bit of research I realized that it was the simple green doing it. I started just washing the bike with the pressure washer without soap and the problem seemed to stop getting worse.

I now have a new KX250F and am reluctant to use simple green again. I ordered the slick products and am going to give those a try.

I cut simple green 2:1, concentrated or 2:1 doesnt' seem to make much difference.  3:1 or 4:1 to dilute it even more for general use, still works fine.

Spray the bike down, get the hose/nozzle out, hose it down... back into the garage.

But if you really want it clean, a pre-scrub with simple green and a final wash through the kitchen sink is the only way to go.

IMG_20140608_144347475-L.jpg

IMG_20140608_151318007-L.jpg

IMG_20140608_163651657-L.jpg

• Like 2

Simple green is fine.

Personally, I spend a few bucks at the car powerwash place, i use their high pressure soap then soap brush the plastics and finish it off with hi pressure wax. Turns out really nice. I dont like doing it at home. Seems like im out there for 2 hours to get the same results with more hassle.

P.s. F21 in the neon green bottle is money for shiny plastics.

• Like 1

Either simple green or purple power diluted half and half with beer....I mean water (usually I'm mixed half and half with beer when the bike gets washed). Just make sure that you don't allow it to dry. I usually disassemble the big stuff and hit the crevices with a brush.

• Like 2

I don't wash my bike unless I'm gong to work on it. Not much mud here, just dirt. Car wash thru the pressure washer.

Mike

• Like 1

Use Shout and a garden hose w/ a spray nozzle if you want keep your bike to looking like new.

Cleaners like Purple Power, White Lightning, Simple Green, etc. are very alkaline and will strip anodize off aluminum. Even if you are very careful with them, they slowly dull all the metals and put age on the bike.

• Like 1

simple green pro HD (which is purple) is aluminum safe and works well. i use it to clean up engine parts (including aluminum) when rebuilding.

for general bike cleaning, though, i just hit a DIY car wash on the way home and pressure wash it with just water. i don't care if it shines like it's on the showroom floor, though. i just want it clean enough to work on.

• Like 1

Clean bikes last longer.

I agree. I also might catch something amiss when I tear stuff down to clean it, plus, it looks nice and pretty on the way to ride. Another cleaner that I found out about that works great and is safe for aluminum is krud kutter.
  • Like 1