Sign in to follow this  

New DRZ Owner: Looking to change-out handle grips

I have recently purchased a 2006 DRZ400SM. I love the bike so far, but the handle grips are so uncomfortable. I just ordered a new throttle body and plan on getting new grips as well. My main question is what is the difference between closed-ended (MX) grips and open-ended grips? Seems like all the grips which I found were for MX bikes. Do I need to buy a open-ended grip to allow for use of my stock handlebar weights? 

If I don't need to get open-ended grips, any suggestions on brand of grip to buy? I was looking at simple diamond patterns.

I just cut the ends off the grips, and use what I like. I have Renthal Kevlar they last a long time but don't like the raised edges on half the grip. Pillow top grips are nice and soft. 

• Like 1

Open-end grips are made to be compatible with items that attach to the ends of the handlebars like: bar-end weights, mirrors, handguards, etc... Closed-end grips on the other hand don't.  HOWEVER, closed-end grips can easily be modified with a razor or pipe to cut/punch out a circular hole.

I use Pro Taper's Pillow Top grips and love them.

Too bad you already purchased a throttle tube.  I have had awesome luck on my KX with the ODI Lock-on grips.  No need for safety wire or adhesives, just slide the grip over the bar and tighten the necessary allen screws to clamp it down.  I have never had a grip twist on me.  Plenty of grip patterns to choose from too.  The throttle side comes as a throttle tube assembly with different cams to fine tune to your riding style.  When it's time for new grips on my SM, there is no doubt that I will be getting a set of lock-ons.

Thumpertalk actually did a nice review on them a couple weeks ago.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/43153-odi-grips-mx-v2-rogue/

• Like 1