Sign in to follow this  

2003 KDX200 value

Hello fellow smoker enthusiasts. I have been lurking in these forums for quite sometime... Looking and Learning. Some very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

I am now considering buying a 2003 KDX 200 for my daughter. It is a single owner bike, well taken care of and with regular maintenance performed as necessary. It is all stock except the addition of an FMF Gnarley Gold exhaust, Powercore 2 silencer, and a Protaper handlebar.

He is asking $2300 which I consider to be too high. What do you all think is a fair price to pay for this bike?

Thank you in advance for all your replies.

MotoGimp :ride:

You can look at this a couple of ways. I'm taking a guess here but I would say that's over book value. This kinda depends on your daughters skill level and what kind of riding she's going to do with it.

If she's just learning to ride "a big bike" and needs a good trail bike and also if you can't ever see finding another KDX in that good of shape for that price it might be worth it. Just keep in mind that if it's a KDX specifically that you want, anything 95' and up is basically the same bike. It's finding one that's in good shape... brake pedal not sloppy, brakes not feeling mushy because of lines being soft from use, spokes not all needing replaced, suspension linkage not sloppy, etc. that may be a challenge.

That being said, if she's already a good rider and wants to go woods racing you're probably gonna be spending more money on suspension upgrades soon. You would have to do the same to modify a motocross bike for woods, just something to keep in mind. The engines are pretty tame in stock form but can be made to scream with some pretty simple mods. (And of course, more money)

If she wants to go to the motocross track and race get another bike. A KDX can be motocrossed but it's kinda scary. I've done it.

Basically what I'm saying is if it's in really really good shape and doesn't need anything done to it, and ... especially if you don't do your own work it's probably worth it. I would try to get it for cheaper though.

Around here I'd say ~$1800 if it's in nearly perfect shape, maybe $1400-$1600 for something that's well kept but showing some wear. 

This guy is asking $3000 for a 01 220 up here. Nice bike and must be very few miles on it but I think it's going to be up for sale a while.

http://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/4517493198.html

Similar when I was looking last year, guy had a very very clean 01, asking $3800. I bought my 03 brand new out the door for $4,069.04. 

Well, the bike I was asking about sold for $1700. Based on the info that I have received that seems to be average going Price. I'll have to start my search all over again.

I suppose we should consider this thread Closed. Thank you all for your replies.