Sign in to follow this  

Yz rear shock question.

Hi, i just adjusted my rear spring sag. I weigh 95 kg, but cant aford to get new spring to suit my weight at the moment so i wound up spring untill i got 100mm sag. Problem is that now when i push down on the seat it makes a little clang when it comes to the top. Not bad but not sure if i should wind back down a little so it doesent do it? Its a 2010 model and do not want to damage shock. Took for a ride and it handles well and feels better then before. Before i adjusted it, it had 120mm sag and bit to soft. I would love to put race tech springs and gold valve to suit but itl cost me 1200 for that!!! Just want to no if it isnt going to destroy itself or im just worried about nothing haha. Thanks.

Well i just regreased all bearings, and all like new. Just feels as if the shock comes all the way up and hits the stop. When the spring was bit softer it never done it. The high compresion i adjusted to 1 and 3/4 turns out and was horible so i went back to standard 1 1/2 turns. Its better but should maybe dampen it up a bit more because wouldnt the spring when wound up tighter, would need to play with the clickers again? I dont no its probably fine im just so fussy. Ohh does any one ever play with the high compresion settings? And how far out do you wind? Im pretty sure its 1 1/2 turns out standard. Ive had alot of bikes, and wound spring up to suit my weight and never had this. Thanks.

How far did you crank down on the spring to get your sag right? You stock spring is most likely a good bit to light for you. Who is charginf 1200 to put springs and gold valves in? I wouldnt take anything there.

Ye thats what i thought. Should i just put new rear spring in shock, and leave valving? Valving seems sweet for what i ride. Also is it ok to leave the front or do i need to do them if i do rear? I live in bunbury west australia and seems suspension tuning over here cost alot more then america? Will i gain static sag if i put a heavyer spring in the rear? Im not sure but are progresive rate springs better then non? Sorry for all these questions guys but help is much apreciated!! :lol:

I think 95kg is about 210lbs, so a heavier spring rate is needed to achieve the best possible suspension/handling performance. And if the spring rate goes much higher than stock, then it might "store" to much energy and overpower the valving, which would mean a revalve job would be needed. And yes, if you increase the rear spring rate too much, then the front would need to be adjusted also to keep the chassis balanced. And that means a lot of money being spent!!!

If you don't want to spend the money, you won't be hurting anything with your current set-up. It just won't be handling optimumly.

Ohh ok. I just dont want to be hurting my shoky. I would totaly love to set my suspension right as bikes only done 30 hours from new! And im building my second house at the moment and think missus will kill me if i go blowen more coin on it!! Do you think maybe i should wind spring down a little? I think it was sitting on 110mm sag height and never did it and does still handle good. I will spend money on suspension ounce house is built. :lol: