Sign in to follow this  

Bike was stolen last night...

But they were caught on the way home.

Just got a knock on my front door a couple of hours ago from the local police department. Officer identified me and proceeded to inform me that my 2008 Honda Crf450R had been stolen, but they had it. I have only had the bike here at my apartment in Athens, GA for a couple of weeks, but apparently that's all it takes. We have a porch that is enclosed with a 5 foot high steel gate, which is where I was keeping it, and never thought anybody would be dumb enough or even could steal it without waking me, my roommate, and my german shepherd up. I am not very religious, but I have had times in my life where it is hard to not give credit where credit is due. I am a full time student here at the University of Georgia, and as expected finances are pretty tight. I would have been crushed to wake up this morning and see that my bike had been stolen. The chances of them being caught on the way home are very very slim. The only reason they were pulled over is because they had a headlight out. I almost have to wonder if there was a reason why I went to bed early tonight and did not wake up when they took it. I mean you never know, but what would have happened if I would have woke up and seen these guys stealing my bike? I have a Glock 21 in the closet and I don't know what I would have done. 3 black guys stealing my bike off of my porch and in the heat of the moment I may have have pulled the trigger. There is no way to over power 3 guys and I definitely would not have let them get away with my bike. Or I also could have been injured or worse. Again this is coming from a guy that is not very religious, but I feel like I have to thank God for this one. I very easily could be sitting in a jail cell or a hospital bed right now. Instead I am safely in my bed and I will be able to get my bike back this afternoon. I am quite frankly completely blown away...

Few questions though:

1. Can I press additional charges or retaliate in anyway? I want to obliterate these guys so any input would be appreciated.

2. Can I sue for any damages?

3. Bike is in impound so I take it I will have to pay to get it out?

Any additional help would be very valuable.

Edited by braaaaawp88
  • Like 4

Good to see you got it back

I suggest you Upgrade the Security or find another location to store the bike .

Yeah it's coming inside now that's for sure.

• Like 2

Glad you got your bike back. Let it go, you are one of the lucky few that gets their bike back.

Not sure how to state this without sounding like a prick, you'd REALLY kill someone who was stealing a dirt bike? A mans (theif or not) life is worth less than a pile of plastic, rubber and steel? For a little over a hundred bucks a year I have my bike insured, way better than the idea of shooting someone imo.

Step back from the Glock

Again, glad it worked out for you...

• Like 5

Not sure how to state this without sounding like a prick, you'd REALLY kill someone who was stealing a dirt bike? A mans (theif or not) life is worth less than a pile of plastic, rubber and steel? For a little over a hundred bucks a year I have my bike insured, way better than the idea of shooting someone imo.

Step back from the Glock

The law here in Texas seems to think so, and so do the people in my house (thief's life is worth less than anything we own).

You try to steal something I busted my ass for and you're gonna get shot (within the limits of the law).  Without those minimal constraints, I say shoot every one of them when caught in the process of theiving.

Could your statement in any way be related to your collective thinking?

Edited by SpunBearing
  • Like 12

Glad you got your bike back. Let it go, you are one of the lucky few that gets their bike back.

Step back from the Glock

Step back from the Glock

No I understand. Didn't want to come across like a trigger happy idiot, but I don't know what might have happened. I would have grabbed the gun, because it is 4am and there are 3 guys on my porch, and then what happens when I open the door? Do you think they would have just ran? Or do you think they would have attacked me? Not saying I would go out there and try to kill them all, but it very easily could have turned aggressive.

• Like 3

The law here in Texas seems to think so, and so do the people in my house (thief's life is worth less than anything we own).

You try to steal something I busted my ass for and you're gonna get shot (within the limits of the law).  Without those minimal constraints, I saw every their deserves to be shot while in the process of theiving.

Could your statement in any way be related to your collective thinking?

Thank you.

I agree. It would be very hard not to retaliate. Do you think I can press charges?

Just looked up the police report. All 3 guys are being charged with criminal conspiracy and theft by taking. Both charges are felonies and the bond is set at $10,000.

Holy shit.

Here check it out if you have a minute

http://api.athensclarkecounty.com/sheriff/jail/bookingreport.asp##

Case number:14060668

Just Ctrl+F and search for it

Edited by braaaaawp88
  • Like 1

Glad you got your bike back, consider yourself very lucky there.

I too have insurance on my bikes even though they are in a locked garage. I only pay about $200 a year on my YZ for liability, comprehensive, and collision insurance. Being in apartment you should look into it and renters insurance if you don't already have it.

Thieves are absolute scum of the earth and I hope the guys who took your bike spend some real time in jail.

Invest in a alarm lock,..there like 30 bucks. Probley a good thing u didn't wake up,..cuz I know I would have unloaded on there asses!!

• Like 2

Glad you got your bike back, consider yourself very lucky there.

I too have insurance on my bikes even though they are in a locked garage. I only pay about $200 a year on my YZ for liability, comprehensive, and collision insurance. Being in apartment you should look into it and renters insurance if you don't already have it.

Thieves are absolute scum of the earth and I hope the guys who took your bike spend some real time in jail.

1-10 years for theft by taking and the same for criminal conspiracy. Should be in there for atleast a couple of years. The one guy has been arrested several times, I bet he gets it bad.

• Like 1

Invest in a alarm lock,..there like 30 bucks. Probley a good thing u didn't wake up,..cuz I know I would have unloaded on there asses!!

Oh yeah. I would probably be in a lot of trouble haha

Yeah I believe that that law is that they have to break and enter before u can shoot em but don't quote me on that.. I'm no lawyer lol

But they were caught on the way home.

Just got a knock on my front door a couple of hours ago from the local police department. Officer identified me and proceeded to inform me that my 2008 Honda Crf450R had been stolen, but they had it. I have only had the bike here at my apartment in Athens, GA for a couple of weeks, but apparently that's all it takes. We have a porch that is enclosed with a 5 foot high steel gate, which is where I was keeping it, and never thought anybody would be dumb enough or even could steal it without waking me, my roommate, and my german shepherd up. I am not very religious, but I have had times in my life where it is hard to not give credit where credit is due. I am a full time student here at the University of Georgia, and as expected finances are pretty tight. I would have been crushed to wake up this morning and see that my bike had been stolen. The chances of them being caught on the way home are very very slim. The only reason they were pulled over is because they had a headlight out. I almost have to wonder if there was a reason why I went to bed early tonight and did not wake up when they took it. I mean you never know, but what would have happened if I would have woke up and seen these guys stealing my bike? I have a Glock 21 in the closet and I don't know what I would have done. 3 black guys stealing my bike off of my porch and in the heat of the moment I may have have pulled the trigger. There is no way to over power 3 guys and I definitely would not have let them get away with my bike. Or I also could have been injured or worse. Again this is coming from a guy that is not very religious, but I feel like I have to thank God for this one. I very easily could be sitting in a jail cell or a hospital bed right now. Instead I am safely in my bed and I will be able to get my bike back this afternoon. I am quite frankly completely blown away...

Few questions though:

1. Can I press additional charges or retaliate in anyway? I want to obliterate these guys so any input would be appreciated.

2. Can I sue for any damages?

3. Bike is in impound so I take it I will have to pay to get it out?

Any additional help would be very valuable.

BP thank god them leaches of society didn't get your bike.

You can try to get them charged with unlawful trespassing but your wasting your time and

they could be in a gang and retaliate just let the cops do there jobs.

Theye probably already

have prior charges. Most people like that do.

• Like 1

Every state is different so you'd have to ask someone familiar with your local laws and procedure. Criminally, they've already got the worst of it. I'm sure there are some other minor laws broken but the more serious charge will be the one the city/state runs with. If other (minor) charges were even brought up, the sentence to them would likely be run congruent and pointless in the end.

Sometimes tho, if you push the issue, guilty parties can be made to pay restitution to the owner of the DAMAGED property. So, if the bike is messed up in any way (and whose to say what was and wasn't, that's morally up to you) the judge can demand that paid as part of his sentencing.

I'm glad you got your bike back. I would be devastated to wake up and have my sons bike gone.

• Like 1

That's a bummer that they didn't get grand theft! When our bikes got takin they were charged with grand theft and we didn't pay a dime to get then outta impound, they were actually dropped off at our house. That may be a perk of being a fireman though and the police hooking us up. The charge may be 1-10 years but with how out society is they will get minimum if anything, better get that bike put away, they and all their buddies know where it's at now, prolly woulda seen it in some wheelie video on youtube.

• Like 4

buy a cable lock big enough to go around the frame through the rim/s and through the bike stand it is sitting on... really hard to move a bike with a 1"+ cable running in and out of it ;) that is what I do plus it is inside and locked doors.