Bike was stolen last night...

Glad to see you got it back...that's pretty rare. I have had neighbors whose bikes got stolen in very similar circumstances; behind a tall gate, miraculously no one woke up, etc. Those bike never came home.

I'm also very sympathetic to the thoughts that surround confronting the scumbags in the act. If someone moves too quickly, do you blast them? Tough choices. I'm sure many will say they deserved it, but you'll be the one living with it (and the aftermath). And your piece will be taken as evidence, possibly forever.

Question: while it was behind a gate, was your bike visible from the street, and was the bike locked at all?

For thieves to take your bike, they have to first know the bike is there. Out of sight, out of mind. Try to keep your bike in a place where it's not easily seen by the public.

Next, your bike should at least have the appearance of being a pain in the ass to steal, and even better to truly be difficult to take. If I'm not watching them, my bikes virtually always have a disc lock or u-lock through the frame or rear sprocket, and those are usually chained to something immovable or to another bike's lock. This is regardless of if it's locked in the garage or sitting in the truck, at the campsite, track, etc. And you want quality bicycle/motorcycle security stuff, not the ordinary chains and padlocks you can get at the hardware store. Most thieves don't want to use the power tools (or have a 4' bolt cutter) generally required to cut through this stuff. Watch some bicycle theft videos on youtube for ideas.

Beyond that, there are audible motion alarms and other creative stuff that can be used. I don't believe LoJack can be used with off-road vehicles, but maybe there's a service the does that now, too.

At the end of the day, though, a determined and experienced thief is going to get your stuff if they really want it. The only way to combat that: insurance. Don't overlook spending a little bit of money on the ultimate peace of mind, as it's relatively inexpensive on dirtbikes. Homeowners/renters insurance might even have it covered, so be sure to check on that, too.

Source: owning bicycles and dirtbikes kept outside while living in Philly for 10 years.

• Like 1