Sign in to follow this  

I crashed my ttr 125

Hey, I recently crashed my ttr 125 and I bent by handle bars a little bit and my brother finds that its hard to turn the bars. What should I do?

Hey, I recently crashed my ttr 125 and I bent by handle bars a little bit and my brother finds that its hard to turn the bars. What should I do?

Just buy new ones cheapest is like 50 bucks its a bitch to bend back and plus 95% of the time it's uneven if you try

Plus the handle bars give you control over the bike, it's happened to me before don't worry just buy pro taper handle bars and it won't bend again

Don't feed the ignorant troll!

If you bent the bars, replace them: you won't get them straight and they will now have a stress-point that could see them crack and break right off: check out YouTube for what happens when bars break!

Lots of things can happen in a crash: remember how you bicycle's front wheel would get knocked skew and you could straighten the steering by holding the front wheel in your knees? Doing it with a motorcycle is similar, but there are clamping bolts on each fork that need to be loosened first and tightened afterwards.

You could have bent or broken the fork stops on the Bottom triple clamp, or bent the steel lug on the frame that they touch.

Or much more rarely, you could have bent the steering stem - the central steel tube inside the frame  between the top & bottom yoke. Don't try & ride the bike until you have found & fixed the problem.

Andrew I've got a 2005 TTR-125LE with a title for sale 850$ pm me if anyone interested ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360606.946274.jpgattachment=184792:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360561.930201.jpg]ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360577.696705.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360598.129479.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360561.930201.jpg

Andrew I've got a 2005 TTR-125LE with a title for sale 850$ pm me if anyone interested attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360606.946274.jpgattachment=184792:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360561.930201.jpg]attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360577.696705.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411360598.129479.jpg

your trying to sell a bike covered in mud!?

Some people...

• Like 2

Most likely you tweaked the suspension in the triple clamps, and/or the alignment of the upper triple in relation to the lower (twisted).  This happened to my wife's TTR125L a few years ago, and it rode very wierd for the rest of the day, just like you described.  It would over steer one direction super easily, and then very difficult to steer to the opposite.  Buy a new handlebar, but before you buy anything else try the following and realign everything.

Remove the front wheel.

Loosen the upper and lower triple clamps to relieve any twist or tension that may have developed on the suspension forks.  You do not need to remove the forks, just make sure both sets of triples are loose enough to the forks to realign.

Loosen the steering nut and make sure the upper and lower triples are aligned properly.

Tighten the upper and lower triple clamps to the specified torque from the manual, following the tightening procedure (if there is one).  Do not over tighten.  Make sure both forks are the same height within the triple clamps, basically the top of the forks should be the same height above or flush with the top surface of the upper triple.

Re-install the front wheel.

Tighten the top steering nut to the proper torque.  Again, do not over-tighten or you will put too much pressure on the headset bearings resulting in stiff steering and increased wear on the bearings and races.

Test ride and enjoy.

• Like 1

Most likely you tweaked the suspension in the triple clamps, and/or the alignment of the upper triple in relation to the lower (twisted). This happened to my wife's TTR125L a few years ago, and it rode very wierd for the rest of the day, just like you described. It would over steer one direction super easily, and then very difficult to steer to the opposite. Buy a new handlebar, but before you buy anything else try the following and realign everything.

Remove the front wheel.

Loosen the upper and lower triple clamps to relieve any twist or tension that may have developed on the suspension forks. You do not need to remove the forks, just make sure both sets of triples are loose enough to the forks to realign.

Loosen the steering nut and make sure the upper and lower triples are aligned properly.

Tighten the upper and lower triple clamps to the specified torque from the manual, following the tightening procedure (if there is one). Do not over tighten. Make sure both forks are the same height within the triple clamps, basically the top of the forks should be the same height above or flush with the top surface of the upper triple.

Re-install the front wheel.

Tighten the top steering nut to the proper torque. Again, do not over-tighten or you will put too much pressure on the headset bearings resulting in stiff steering and increased wear on the bearings and races.

Test ride and enjoy.

Thanks for the help, I hope this resolves my issue