Sign in to follow this  

New DRZ400sm - exhaust and FCR question

I know the Yoshi TRC exhaust was unfortunately discontinued and I cannot find one anywhere on the Internet. Most seem to go with the the MRD SSW, but I just don't like the look or sound. What are the thoughts on the next best? I really like the Yoshi RS2, but is there a better pipe for power other than the MRD?

Also, as far as the FCR carb, is the correct TT kit for my DRZ400sm the one that says it's for the DRZ400s? I know probably a dumb question, but want to make sure. Thanks for the help.

Yes that is the correct FCR kit for your bike.

I know Yoshi has their fan club but I cannot recommend anything other than the MRD. The Yoshi is overpriced and mass produced. Dave at MRD hand makes his exhaust with amazing craftsmanship. The welds on my pipe are a work of art. The Z-Pro was designed specifically for this platform and outperforms every other pipe out there.

As far as sound goes there really won't be much of a difference with another pipe, a free flowing exhaust is going to be loud period

• Like 4

+1 to the post above.  Most open pipes are going to sound pretty much the same.  The MRD has been proven time and again to be the best performing pipe for the DRZ and there are dyno sheets on here to prove it.  Looks are certainly debatable though and if they are more important than peak performance, then choose the pipe you thinks looks best.  I think Yoshi's are great looking pipes, absolutely LOVED the one I had on my SV1000S.

• Like 1

I know the Yoshi TRC exhaust was unfortunately discontinued and I cannot find one anywhere on the Internet. Most seem to go with the the MRD SSW, but I just don't like the look or sound. What are the thoughts on the next best? I really like the Yoshi RS2, but is there a better pipe for power other than the MRD?

Also, as far as the FCR carb, is the correct TT kit for my DRZ400sm the one that says it's for the DRZ400s? I know probably a dumb question, but want to make sure. Thanks for the help.

If you're going to run an open exhaust and FCR, go with the MRD. I run the Yoshi RS2 over the MRD because I keep the insert in to keep the volume down and I still get decent performance with the insert in. I was originally going to get the FCR but the FCR doesn't play well with a corked exhaust so I went with a JD jet instead.

This is the correct FCR kit https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/DRZ400S-SM-FCR-MX-39mm-Conversion-Kit-p2006766611.html

MRD/Z-Pro is going to be the best performing exhaust out there. IMO the shorty version looks pretty darn good.

The off the shelf full systems aren't going to perform as good as the Z-Pro but there will still be an improvement over stock. They are all going perform relatively the same compared to each other. So like stated above choose the one you think looks the best and put it on.

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 1

Some more food for thought. Im assuming you're currently running the stock exhaust.

- Either RS2 or MRD open exhaust is going to increase exhaust volume significantly over a stock exhaust

- When paired with the FCR the MRD gives the most gains overall and is the pipe if performance is your primary objective

- A FCR paired with a corked exhaust or stock will be a pain to jet properly, so once you go FCR you need to keep the open exhaust

- The RS2 comes standard with the quiet insert that can be removed or reinstalled easily if you have times you need a quieter exhaust

- A quiet insert is available for the MRD at an additional cost and has to be ordered separately

- The RS2 is mass produced and can be bought online for about $410 and shipped right away

- The MRD is hand crafted, can be custom crafted, and costs about $480 and as I understand it has a turnaround time for it to be crafted (2-4 weeks?? I can't elaborate as I've never ordered one)

Edited by plankk
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like the consensus is going with the MRD so I'll probably do that. Thanks again!

Some more food for thought. Im assuming you're currently running the stock exhaust.

- Either RS2 or MRD open exhaust is going to increase exhaust volume significantly over a stock exhaust

- When paired with the FCR the MRD gives the most gains overall and is the pipe if performance is your primary objective

- A FCR paired with a corked exhaust or stock will be a pain to jet properly, so once you go FCR you need to keep the open exhaust

- The RS2 comes standard with the quiet insert that can be removed or reinstalled easily if you have times you need a quieter exhaust

- A quiet insert is available for the MRD at an additional cost and has to be ordered separately

- The RS2 is mass produced and can be bought online for about $410 and shipped right away

- The MRD is hand crafted, can be custom crafted, and costs about $480 and as I understand it has a turnaround time for it to be crafted (2-4 weeks?? I can't elaborate as I've never ordered one)

MSRP for the RS2 is $595 on Yoshimura's website

On EBay right now they are anywhere from $470 all the way up to a whopping $770. Seriously.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

as I understand it has a turnaround time for it to be crafted (2-4 weeks?? I can't elaborate as I've never ordered one)

It will be shipped within the lead time posted on the order page, which at the moment is 3 weeks.

MSRP for the RS2 is $595 on Yoshimura's website

On EBay right now they are anywhere from $470 all the way up to a whopping $770. Seriously.

No there is a whole slew of them for ~$410..(just checked) Not sure what you are searching for. I paid $412 for mine shipped. 

• Like 1

No there is a whole slew of them for ~$410..(just checked) Not sure what you are searching for. I paid $412 for mine shipped.

In all honesty I wasn't looking very hard just clicked a google search result. There were quite a few over $700 though, people are crazy

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

. I was originally going to get the FCR but the FCR doesn't play well with a corked exhaust so I went with a JD jet instead.

I have the FCR and the spark arrestor is in my Yoshi Ti.  Night and day difference with the FCR vs the CV carb that comes stock, even with the Dynojet kit installed.

I get a lot more enjoyable exhaust note with the spark arrestor out, but the throttle response difference is neglegable.

It's like picking a blond, red head or brunett. :thinking: There all good, I happen to have a FMF Power Bomb & Power Core 4 and I wouldn't trade it for nothing.  So just go with what you think looks the best & roll with it.  :ride:

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 4

It's like picking a blond, red head or brunett. :thinking: There all good, I happen to have a FMF Power Bomb & Power Core 4 and I wouldn't trade it for nothing.  So just go with what you think looks the best & roll with it.  :ride:

If I hadn't opted for the Yoshi early on, I too would get the FMF header. You eliminate the restrictive stock header and have a lot of choices for the silencer.

• Like 1

If you go with PC4 (let's say the blonde..lol) ..........you could match it with a used E heapipe for a cheaper option....with the same power outcome

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 2