Sign in to follow this  

drz400sm vs ktm 350exc-f with SM kit

hi all. i akready posted this in the SM section but i figured id get more traffic and help here. I was apart of this forum awhile ago as CRFkid14, now im back as a 21y/o who loves motards! im torn between the 2. im worrried the 350 will require too much maintence for my riding. it will be a DD in summer and toy and ill have my truck for winter/ rain days. is the maintence really that bad on the KTM? any other suggestions for supermotos? i want something fun that i can wheelie and drive everyday and sometimes pretty hard! any help would be great!!!! if it helps ill probably be putting on 250+ miles a week!. and i dont think i mentioned but im buying new so i can make it my own and put uprages in as i go. If i were to get DRZ i would:

budget for DRZ= ~$9,000

(ill be doing performance upgrades either right away from the dealer or slowly as i progress)

-2014 DRZ400SM

-FCR 39mm or 41mm carb

-exhaust system(SSW? i think thats the name)

-case saver

-acerbis bark busters

-new headlight

-new taillight assembly

(still researching but these will be first mods)

budget for KTM= whatever it costs but not over $11,500

-2014 KTM 350exc-f

-Warp 9 SM kit

You can compare the maintenance schedules on the two bikes.

All the KTM manuals are available online on the ktm website.

The DRZ's manual and service schedule are also online.

KTM = 45 HP, 236lbs, 6 speed, $11k

DRZ = 33 HP, 321lbs, 5 speed, $7k

With $4k, you can build one heck of a DRZ.

Big Bore Kit ($400) , Stroker kit ($450) , FCR-41($550), MRD Exhaust ($450), Cams ($400), and still have $1,750 in hand.

Or have it all professionally installed and tuned.

• Like 1

If I had 9k to blow (because that's exactly what you'd be doing lol) on a DRZ I would not buy new. I would look on craigslist and try and pick up a clean-ish used SM for maybe 3500 or so, and use the other 5500 to completely rebuild it with a stroker and ACT wide ratio gears. You'll be so much better off than an out of the box drz.

The other option I would consider if going new would be a 2012+ WR450. Since they come street legal in most other parts of the world the wiring harness is already ready for lights to make it street legal. Then with a few simple mods to uncork it you can basically have a reliable, street legal, electric start YZ450 with a wide ratio trans

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

likeing the replies! reasons i wanna buy new is i havent ever had anything new, its all been used and i wanna work on it from scratch, i know im paying more but for me buying my first new motorcycle and that pride would be well worth it,

well ive decided on DRZ! now i have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to come into my local dealer where i will order parts that day( i hope)

what mods should i do in what order????

• Like 2

The 350 is supposed to be quite good for maintenance. AFAIK the KTM service intervals in the manual are not really applicable in the real world - usually it's OK to go for longer between checks. (Except oil changes, which afaik you want to do reasonably frequently, but they don't hold much oil and the oil change is easy so it's no trouble really.) Conversely, the real-world maintenance in the DRZ is a little more than in the manual :)

likeing the replies! reasons i wanna buy new is i havent ever had anything new, its all been used and i wanna work on it from scratch, i know im paying more but for me buying my first new motorcycle and that pride would be well worth it,

well ive decided on DRZ! now i have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to come into my local dealer where i will order parts that day( i hope)

what mods should i do in what order????

Depends how far you want to go with it, like I said if you go used you can really go crazy with the mods and not feel bad about it. With a brand new bike your going to be second guessing every mod you do. For example is it really worth digging into the bottom end of a brand new motor? Probably not. But if you have an older bike with an unknown history maybe a new stroker crank isn't such a bad idea.

To answer your question more directly I would do the 3x3, 39mm FCR, MRD exhaust, and a quick turn throttle first

Then cams

Then big bore + valve job

Then stroker kit + 41mm FCR + ACT gears

• Like 1

I agree with Gsxrstuntdrz for the order of of mods.

First do carb and exhaust, and ride the hell out of that. Then do cams and a big bore when it needs a top end refresh, then ride the hell out of that. Then if you really want to get freaky, when it needs its next rebuild go for a full on big bore/stroker with the FCR41 and wide ratio gear set with all the goodies  :ride:

With mods, the DRZ can make power like the KTM but it will never be as light.  It will definitely be easier on maintenance though.

• Like 1

I understand the feeling of something new. But you just spent double the money on a bike made in 2002. The drz hasn't changed one bit. Plastics and a tank are cheap sir.

If you look for a commuter, go for the DRZ, and do the upgrades as described above,

If you want a light bike for super moto racing, go for the KTM.

I bought a RMZ450 a couple years ago, and got a set of marchesini's.

The RMZ is about the same weight as the KTM (250 lbs fully tanked).

On the track, it was superior compared to my 470 stroker as the weight matters a lot on short , curvy tracks.

250 miles a week, is one oil change a month, recommended on both the DRZ and the EXC

• Like 2

Depends how far you want to go with it, like I said if you go used you can really go crazy with the mods and not feel bad about it. With a brand new bike your going to be second guessing every mod you do. For example is it really worth digging into the bottom end of a brand new motor? Probably not. But if you have an older bike with an unknown history maybe a new stroker crank isn't such a bad idea.

To answer your question more directly I would do the 3x3, 39mm FCR, MRD exhaust, and a quick turn throttle first

Then cams

Then big bore + valve job

Then stroker kit + 41mm FCR + ACT gears

thats exactly what ill do! thanks for the help!

Given your budget maybe also look at the 690SMC. It's all the benefit of the low maintenance DRZ with much more hp and it will be a good daily rider. I was skeptical at first, but they really make good bikes if you want power and reliability.

I had a Husky 450 SMR and it was a great bike that didn't kill me on maintenance, but it still wasn't a good street bike that I wanted to ride everyday. The true dirt bikes are good for short romps around town, but not for a daily driver in my experience.

The DRZ is a pig. It's a good bike, but a pig none the less.

He asks this in a DRZ 400 forum. Of course we are all for the majority DRZ sided lol.

Anyways my DRZ400SM as of now and since February when I got the bike has been my only source of transportation. Bike has run fine. Only thing I've done is change the oil as long the lines of maintenance goes. I just don't get as good as gas milage as i thought i would.

He asks this in a DRZ 400 forum. Of course we are all for the majority DRZ sided lol.

Anyways my DRZ400SM as of now and since February when I got the bike has been my only source of transportation. Bike has run fine. Only thing I've done is change the oil as long the lines of maintenance goes. I just don't get as good as gas milage as i thought i would.

What kind of mileage do you get? I get 55 MPG on average

I get less than that haha.

Supermoto is all about smiles per gallon anyway :D

No doubt.

I was just curious because even a modded DRZ should be getting better fuel mileage than your average car.

No doubt.

I was just curious because even a modded DRZ should be getting better fuel mileage than your average car.

I normally hit reserve around 80 miles on my 434, never keep track of actual mileage

The price difference is the main reason most folks don't buy a new KTM vs a DRZ.

• Like 1