Sign in to follow this  

Stock XR 250R air filter cleaning?

Hi Guys, I just picked up a 2004 XR 250R. It's in great shape, still has original tires, chain and sprockets, so low miles. 

My question is regarding the stock air filter. It is just a metal wire mesh filter. Should it have a foam cover too? If not, how do I clean the metal wire mesh?

I know form reading here that I should get a uni flow filter, but I want to get out for a ride this weekend and can't get the uni filter that quick. Also, if I change to the uni filter, do I have to re-jet?

Bike seems to run fine, starts first kick cold and hot.

If there is not foam over the wire mesh cage, there IS NO FILTER. DO not run the engine until you can get an appropriate filter.

• Like 1

This one made me cringe when I read it!!   The foam is the filter, the wire mesh is a backfire screen which essentially does nothing to filter anything out.  I really hope it truly has low miles, which would maybe be your only saving grace from the imminent motor damage which would have occured.   Also I hope it didn't come from a dusty climate.  Either way, as said above, DO NOT RIDE the bike until you have a foam filter for the bike regardless if you miss a weekend.  You WILL save yourself a lot of time and money for sure.  

XR's are incredibly robust bikes, but no bike will withstand prolonged running without a filter.  And on top of that I'm surprised that your bike is running well withouth the filter because that has to throw your jetting off quite abit. 

Personally if I found this I would pull the motor down and check out the condition of the piston rings and cylinder walls. 

+1 on what these guys said. Get a filter ASAP and don't ride until you do.

Also get foam filter oil. The filter must be oiled before installation (you can buy some that come oiled already) on the bike to catch and trap the fine dirt particles. You basically cover the foam in oil (off the bike), gently squeeze the filter to work all the oil through it, you don't any dry spots on it. Then let it set for about an hour and gently squeeze out the excess with a clean rag or towel. Don't ever twist it or "ring it" like you would a rag. Better to have a little to much oil on it vs. not enough.

Holy crap this scared the shit out of me! So, after looking all over the web for stock air filters, i found this is what is being offered as stock and it is what I currently have. It seems that this is not really a stock air filter, it looks more like a K&N or some other knock off.

Whew!

xrairfilter.jpg

I will replace this with a Uni filter, but in the mean time, it looks like there has been a filter in place, maybe not the best filter, but a least a filter.

Better than nothing for sure! K&N will work fine but they don't do as well in dusty conditions like a foam filter will and with less material to hold oil, they dry out much faster. I think you should still look to get a UNI or Twin Air, any foam filter will do better off road in dust.

XR500 Uni Filter on my 250, but it requires mods to the air box and clasp. Cage area is double.  Also fits 400 with same mods.  250 & 400 share the same filter.

My Uni came with a cage, but on Twin AIr, someone here didn't get the cage included.  Both are recommended.

I would just blow that stock filter out with an air hose from the inside to clean it, then order foam.

I would just blow that stock filter out with an air hose from the inside to clean it, then order foam.

Done! Thanks for all the help.

Definitely ditch the k&n filter. They're crap.

Sorry, but I keep seeing this kind of comment about K&N and disagree. IMO, these types of posts should always start with IMO.

I've put a K&N air filter in 3 former XRs, 2 250s and an 85 350, raced and rode from NC to FL for years and didn't ever have any prob's. They're great filters and last forever if taken care of.

OP is in NH! Ever been there? Not much dust really. In dusty condition I use a pre-filter even with foam filters.

I'm using a Uni filter currently, because I got 2 for the price of 1 K&N.

cheers

After reading these, I'm sticking with the foam filters.  I like my motors to breathe air and not dirt.  IMO