Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Sad day: Opened the engine up. Congrats on the purchase of a new engine....

Finally got around to getting the engine opened up. Snapped the rod, punched the case, took everything out with it...

Tada!

10275337_10152448725267777_8872060492688523424_o.jpg

10469143_10152448725517777_3231502591825009464_o.jpg

10333692_10152448725682777_8839998319392552451_o.jpg

Probably gonna part it out.

IMG_20120423_180054.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

IMG_7867.jpg
Edited by eplanajr

You didn't notice any shavings in the oil filter prior to this? Major vibrations? How often do you change the oil?

You didn't notice any shavings in the oil filter prior to this? Major vibrations? How often do you change the oil?

Haha you don't get an advance notice when the rod snaps

• Like 2

No shavings in oil. No vibrations. Every other ride. I didn't ride it very hard either.

No shavings in oil. No vibrations. Every other ride. I didn't ride it very hard either.

that sucks dude

Yes it does indeed suck. And yes it did have many many hours, but was not clapped out.

Edited by eplanajr

The oil you see in the pics looks pretty clean. Any idea of how many hours the bottom end had on it?

This guy sells pretty good stuff http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-04-CRF450R-CRF450-CRF-450-450R-Engine-Motor-Bottom-End-Crank-Cases-Tranny-/360959735996?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540ae078bc&vxp=mtr

Another member on this forum just bought a bottom end from him and it turned out to be pretty nice.

That ain't half bad. New crank bearings and gaskets and you could have that bike screaming again for 600 bones... And have a extra set of parts so you can go through the motor inspect and exchange whatever. Edited by Diggla117

Judging from the pics of the bike and the condition of th oil seen in the pics it does not appear the bike was negelected per se. Looks to me like it was loved. My bet is he the bottom end just went far to many hours and finally gave out. Could be they just didn't know that it is a good idea to replace the crank at 200 hours.

This guy sells pretty good stuff http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-04-CRF450R-CRF450-CRF-450-450R-Engine-Motor-Bottom-End-Crank-Cases-Tranny-/360959735996?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540ae078bc&vxp=mtr

Another member on this forum just bought a bottom end from him and it turned out to be pretty nice.

Yeah that was me. I got a great bottom end from that guy. 

The motor I was working with had the rod punch through the case, and balance shaft snapped.

And that took out the balance shaft bearing race in the right side case half.

Otherwise I would have welded them and reused them.

From the photo's of the OP I'm not seeing major damage to the cases.

It also doesn't appear the cylinder or head were damaged.

From the looks of the bike in the photo's It looks worth repairing.

More info here

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1087134-02-motor-interchangeability/

Yes it does indeed suck. And yes it did have many many hours, but was not clapped out.

Id say about 1 too many.

Its an 02 and I bet thats the OEM crank/rod. A 12 year old dirt bike crank broke....really... :doh:

Looks like its got an 18 rear wheel, which would make me think it was trail/raced ridden like an XR. But it aint an XR.

Its pretty amazing really. When you compare the parts from an XR650 engine to the CRF450R. The XR engine makes 10-15 hp less, and weighs twice as much and we wonder why the CRF engine will grenade on your ass if neglected.

Sorry about your engine. But hours arent the friend of the CRF, or any of the other race bikes.

It does have an 18" rear, I built the wheel set myself. It had one race (if you call my pace race pace is a while other discussion), the rest of it's life was spent trail ridden. Probably one of the cleanest and most well taken care of bikes, I've come across (esp considering it's age).

I'm not surprised by it, but I am at the same time. I was actually planning on rebuilding it this summer (to sell it). I guess plans have changed.

My 07 did the same thing, problem was when I went to rebuild my only option was cases rite from Honda which took forever to get, other than that I used all honda parts except piston which I used a wiesco, I got lucky it didn't hit the head

Order new cases from Partzilla and you'll have them in a week

Hey, if you're still interested in parting it out, let me know. I want the plastics with graphics (last time I bought plastics off a guy, he ripped the graphics off) and I need the radiator fins, the plastic ones that go in the front of the rad. Pm me your price and we'll go from there. Nice bike btw and if you can rebuild it, go for it.