Sign in to follow this  

How to fill properly inner chamber on Showa TC forks?

Probably this has been discussed before, but I didn't find answers to my questions. Fork in question is a Showa from an 08 CRF250R.

1. What is the proper bleed procedure for the inner chamber?

2. Is there supposed to be oil (after assembling) around the spring in the compression assembly?

3. I fill the chamber enough to overflow when pushing in the comp assembly, but I do not succeed of catching the threads even if I put my entire weigh on the top of the comp assembly. What I did: push the rod in a bit and then when pulling out the rod I've pushed the comp assembly in (basically it sucked it in a bit). Is this ok?

4. If the rod extends 100% after assembly, is the fork properly bled?

5. The 07 Showa TC fork has 2 bushings on the comp assembly while the 08 has a thin ring. What is the advantage/disadvantage of these?

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Thx

You can fill it until its about 2 inches below the bleed holes on the side of the cartridge, make sure to push the rod in and extend it slowly until no more air is surfacing.  When you insert the compression assembly it does not need to overflow oil.  As long as it is 2 inches below the bleed holes it will expel the excess fluid when you collapse the rod (make sure the bleed holes are facing away from you or you will take an oil bath).  It will extend all of the way after being collapsed if it has been bled properly. The thinner floating piston on the 08' was to reduce friction and they eliminated the floating piston seal and it relies on a bushing.