Working for a pro

How would i become a mechanic for a pro rider? Other than going to a tech school and getting a degree. How would i apply? I guess. And what other "careers" are available working for/with a pro rider?

I'll tell ya this.. you gotta be friends with whomever you meet.  That's a "who you know" position that can't just be applied for online like other jobs.  I read online an article about a pro's mechanic, he said it's fun but he works over 100 hours a week not only perfecting the bike in every way possible, but doing grunt work for the racing team. 

Good luck man!  Not trying to discourage you, just keeping things in perspective.

• Like 2

That's a "who you know" position

Yup...I don't care what industry you work in it will always come down to who you know...

Go to the races, introduce yourself, be professional, show up maybe even in the team swag they sell online, build contacts, get educated

• Like 2

Im not an aspiring mechanic by no means. I was just curious about how you get the job. I hear the guys who drive the rigs have a great time though.

if your young witn no family and kids i bet its fun but as a driver you still have to do a bunch of grunt work.  and you are driving witha a trailer full of millions of dollars of equipment 

• Like 1

Don't go insulting my job now...

Haha. My current job of repairing irrigation and fixing broken stuff...... or...... driving the ultimate form of road transportation, with a trailer filled with factory bikes, top level tool kits and all their spares....

Hard choice?

a buddy of mine is a mechanic for pro  riders. He has worked damned hard to get there, and has had some very trying times. You start at the back of the pack, and work your way up, until hopefully one day a top team recognizes you. When employed by privateer riders, if they get hurt, you are unemployed. If your rider gets picked up by factory backed team to fill in for one of their riders who is injured, you are now unemployed. The minute race season is done, you are now unemployed. Last winter he was finally picked up by a factory backed team, and had some solid employment.

Without having an inside track (knowing someone), I would imagine one possibility is to get a gig as a mechanic in a bike shop that actually runs a race team (Chaparral, etc.). If you pay your dues and show yourself as dedicated, driven, talented, and generally easy to get along with, you might get the opportunity.

Edited by Zeroesque