Sign in to follow this  

Lighting conditions vs speed

I ride the rocks a lot.  I'm always scanning ahead for shape/size and looseness.  When there's good light (direct overhead sunlight) I can do this so much easier and that gives me the confidence to keep it pinned.  But when a cloud comes out or the sun is low in the sky and there's lots of shadows, I catch myself keeping it under 45.  Inevitably I miss something and I'll get a spike through the suspension and/or the bike will kickout to the side.  It was a LOT worse before I had my suspension redone.  But I feel that one of these days I'm going to miss the wrong rock and I'll be hugging a tree at 45.

Do most riders adjust their speed to the lighting conditions?  I know I need to get my eyes checked because everything goes blurry in low light, so maybe it's just me?

Riding style, as in sitting vs standing?

Flat-light sure sucks for winter sports.  It's a PITA for snowboarding, so I can imagine it must be worse at snowmobile speeds.

Maybe one day the lighting tech will be there where we can overcome flat-light with mega powerful daytime lights.