Sign in to follow this  

CRF 125 Noob Questions

Bought my now 15 yr old son a new CRF 125 Big Wheel for Christmas. Long story, but took 3 years to convince Mom and then she really wanted to go new vice used....(I was looking for used 200's)

Now, upgrades have begun. Started with PVC spacers for the fork springs, then fab'd a spacer for the shock spring on the lathe. Birthday was an FMF exhaust.

Is the CRF 125 engine basically the XR 100 engine with a bore? Will most mods/parts for an XR 100 work on the CRF 125?

Not trying to make it into a racer - but as much a father/son project and learning experience as increased performance/fun

Thanks

Well, just started doing some digging -- bore and stroke are totally different. CRF125 is 52.4 x 57.9 compared to the CRF/XR100 at 53 x 45.

Anyone know if this is a "clean sheet" design? Or based on another engine? Or ...

Sorry I can't help but didn't want you to think you were talking to yourself.  I would have assumed they would be the same as well.  Do you have a bike you ride with him?

No worries! I'll keep digging -- albeit somewhat slowly.

I don't have a dirt bike -- been street on streetbikes for the last 32 years -- haven't ridden dirt since I was 15! Will probably look for a decent used XR200 for me this fall.