Sign in to follow this  

Chance of spring being labeled up wrong?

Guys,

Does anyone know what the chances are of a spring being mislabled on the spring itself? tried a k-tech spring and it was labeled 50nm. seemed to give nearly exactly the same sag settings as the standard 54nm spring the bike had on. so whats the chance of the spring being wrong? Any help is apprechiated.

They can be that far out , I know people who have tested them and found to be one rate out occasionally , eg your 5.0 could be a 5.25

ok. ive ordered a full new set from k-tech of .42 fork springs and 50nm rear spring. I just hope that i get the correct sag settings as its doing my nut in and most suspension companies ah just "like ah well it will be close enough" ffs!!!

• Like 2

At the money they charge you would want it to be right , any decent suspension shop will have a spring tester , what area are you from ?

Your close to mark at rss suspension , he can rate them for you

new springs arrived today. seems the same with this new rear spring (sag at 90mm) which is rather annoying to say the least! 50nm and fitted the .42 front springs (fronts now feel soo much better but will have to alter dampening to suit

race sag was 90mm and free 35mm. ive been on to a bloke who has been amazingly helpful. he has listened to my figures and asked if i had tpuched the shock (which i have) and said it sounds like there is still air in the shock! re-bled the shock and i have got 38mm free sag and 102mm rider sag. Still dont think the shock is fully bled perfect but its alot better than what it was.

I must say, the k tech springs I've measured have been good for a long time now. I done a 52.5 Showa spring this week from k tech measured 52nm on my rater. What bike u got, what's ur weight.

I calculate spring rate using dimensions of the spring (English units) and an Excel spreadsheet, works for sorting unknown springs or validating a labeled rate.

Here is the Excel formula: =(11250000 * POWER(WireDiameter,4)) / (8 * ActiveCoils * POWER((SpringOD-WireDiameter),3))

Convert to kg/mm: multiply by 0.01846

The 11250000 is the modulas of shear, a little low for quality spring steels but gives good results.  

For accuracy the active coils for shock springs need to be to nearest 1/4 active coil, .1 is better.

Of the few springs that I have measured and calculated Honda OEM seem to be slightly below rated value, RaceTech springs right on.