LESS THAN 24 HOURS LEFT TO GET IN ON THIS! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Body protection for Trail riders. Never leave home without it!

Except for a neck brace I wear everything.   Full body, boots, evs knee pads, helmet.    I have had many people where I live say, why do you wear all that stuff you don't motocross and this is why so many trail riders don't gear up.

I biffed it so hard last night in a rocky section. My back tire came out from under me and I went down on the right side. Cracked my EVS kneepads, My elbow and shoulder from my full body has rock rash now. Side of helmet is scrapped up. 

I came out of it with a tweaked ankle.

All I'm saying is so many riders don't buy the full body because of  the chest pad and its a trail.   I agree in a lot of cases you won't hit the chest pad, but I can guarantee you that you will hit your elbow/forearm or shoulder a good majority of the time. There is no doubt I would have suffered more serious injury.  Most trail riders go down on their side.... so armour up on your side... get those full body for your elbows/foerarm and shoulder.

I really like the EVS knee pads that don't go into the boots.. they held up great for this crash.. The one is cracked now, but I felt nothing. I don't like the other where you have to put them in the boot.

Edited by RMK800
  • Like 2

the "it's not MX, so you don't need gear" thing never made sense to me. if anything, you need gear MORE in the woods.

MX tracks do not have rocks, trees, etc.

i'd be completely broken...or dead...by now if i did not wear gear trail riding.

• Like 5

I agree, I wear everything but the neck brace and a kidney belt. I built my own chest/back and shoulder unit because everything available at the time was only good for roost protection, not designd for impacts or falls.

No elbow protection is the first thing I notice about other riders. Riding dirtbikes is risky I know, but thats more risk than I care for. One get off, even minor and you're done. I often travel hundreds of miles to ride and am not about to risk ruining the whole trip on a minor get off that injures my forearm or elbow. Same with knee protection.

the "it's not MX, so you don't need gear" thing never made sense to me. if anything, you need gear MORE in the woods.

MX tracks do not have rocks, trees, etc.

i'd be completely broken...or dead...by now if i did not wear gear trail riding.

That is so true.   MX tracks have none of those obstacles.    I just see to many trail riders that have a lot of stuff on but they just don't wear the full armour.  They should realize if you go down your head, feet, knees, elbows/forearm and shoulder should be protected.

Yep wear everything. Better then breaking something and being unable to do fun stuff or worse not being able to work. Tried wearing an omega neck brace lately too. Makes my neck muscles so sore lol. I think I'm straining against it to look up while riding. Can't get the adjustment right. Prob need to fiddle with it more. There's really no up side to wearing less gear. That I can figure out. Especially after a wreck lol

Just so I am educated and from what I can tell.  Compared to a traditional chest protect (front and rear) with arm guards, the body armor just adds forearm and elbow protection?

I recently started wearing the Fox armored jacket. I went down hard last month and for sure the elbow/shoulder protection did its job. Had knee/shin guards on too. I would have been going to the hospital without that stuff. The thing is, I wasn't even going that fast! Just going downhill and front wheel gets stuck in a rut....and on a trail I have ridden many many times!

Just so I am educated and from what I can tell.  Compared to a traditional chest protect (front and rear) with arm guards, the body armor just adds forearm and elbow protection?

they also typically have much better spine protection...particularly for the lower spine. that's the main reason i choose a pressure suit (mine is an alpinestars bionic II "jacket") over a chest protector. the second reason is that the integrated elbow/forearm protection offers better coverage than most standalone elbow guards and also stays in place better and does not contribute to arm pump.

the downside of pressure suits is that they are generally hotter than chest protectors.

I wear the Atlas neck brace along with everything else, buddy broke his neck on a dual sport ride. He made a full recovery, doc told him if he had a neck brace of some kind it may not have broke.

Just so I am educated and from what I can tell. Compared to a traditional chest protect (front and rear) with arm guards, the body armor just adds forearm and elbow protection?

That is correct.

I wear the fox full body Armour, it's cheaper then others but good quality. It has good shoulder coverage and forearm/elbow. I really don't notice it, very comfortable. It hotter to wear, but so much worth it then just a jersey.

Not many nice places to fall on my local trails.  Mostly rocks, concrete hard dirt, pine and aspen trees.  On the positive side the temps are never too hot, so there's never an excuse not to gear up.

Leatt neck brace and body armor suit 

Pod knee braces

Helmet, Goggles & Boots

Force Field padded shorts

It takes a while to put it all on, but range on motion and comfort are outstanding.  I don't notice any of it getting in the way when riding.  More often than not it's cold so the warmth is a plus.

It's also a lot of money when you add it all up, but ER trips aren't exactly cheap.  Plus the wasted time away from riding/working and now that I'm in my 40's it takes longer to heal up.

Except for a neck brace I wear everything.   Full body, boots, evs knee pads, helmet.    I have had many people where I live say, why do you wear all that stuff you don't motocross and this is why so many trail riders don't gear up.

I biffed it so hard last night in a rocky section. My back tire came out from under me and I went down on the right side. Cracked my EVS kneepads, My elbow and shoulder from my full body has rock rash now. Side of helmet is scrapped up. 

I came out of it with a tweaked ankle.

All I'm saying is so many riders don't buy the full body because of  the chest pad and its a trail.   I agree in a lot of cases you won't hit the chest pad, but I can guarantee you that you will hit your elbow/forearm or shoulder a good majority of the time. There is no doubt I would have suffered more serious injury.  Most trail riders go down on their side.... so armour up on your side... get those full body for your elbows/foerarm and shoulder.

I really like the EVS knee pads that don't go into the boots.. they held up great for this crash.. The one is cracked now, but I felt nothing. I don't like the other where you have to put them in the boot.

Sincere thanks for the reminder. Been getting sloppy lately. Last time sloppy, cost me a collar bone.

Mike

That is correct.

I disagree to a point. Some of the cheaper pressure suits, yes, this is true. However, there are others that offer much better protection, in more places, and are superior to a standard chest protector in the shoulder, chest, and back areas.

For the original topic, I absolutely will not hit the trail without all of my gear on and that does include a pressure suit. (AXO Air Cage Pro) I know every single piece has taken some pretty nasty impacts that would have surely sent me to the doc at minimum! Instead, I get up, dust myself off, and keep riding!

Edited by SS109

I don't disagree with anything said in here, but in Texas, as in other southern states, you just can't wear all of the gear you probably want to. It's just too hot. I would LOVE to have a Fox Titan Jacket, but it's just not going to happen due to how hot they are.

It's kind of a catch 22. If you don't wear the extra gear, you could break a bone or two. If you do wear it, you'll likely overheat. Pick your poison. 

Edited by RAGEman
  • Like 2