Sign in to follow this  

the big street legal Berg

I'm a newbee and trying to find out some info, I posted in the duel sport section and didn't get much run. I want a DS rig and trying to find out the difference between the big Berg and the KTM, I have it narrowed down to those two and the XR which I know a little about, really like the price on that XR. All I want to do is putt around the hood and be legal, no highway use, and also be able to blast a trail if need be. As you can see in my sig I'm no stranger to the open class, thanks, Roost

so I called the Berg dealer and was told they are on their way out of business and he is sold out of the 501 and wont get anymore, he said its just a blue KTM anyway.

so I called the Berg dealer and was told they are on their way out of business and he is sold out of the 501 and wont get anymore, he said its just a blue KTM anyway.

the newest bergs might be blue KTM's, but the older ones wasn't, husaberg was in many ways KTM's experimental line of bikes, they would try out new things and concepts and make a bike that was a bit more "exotic" than their standard.

the 570 bergs (the ones with the tilted engines) are probably the ones that are best suited for dual-sporting, electric start, selector switch for different powercurves, big, strong and low-revving engine, reliable and still plenty powerful.

a guy I know has one that is streetlegal, a very nice machine indeed, don't know if they can be made streetlegal in texas though...

the newest bergs might be blue KTM's, but the older ones wasn't, husaberg was in many ways KTM's experimental line of bikes, they would try out new things and concepts and make a bike that was a bit more "exotic" than their standard.

the 570 bergs (the ones with the tilted engines) are probably the ones that are best suited for dual-sporting, electric start, selector switch for different powercurves, big, strong and low-revving engine, reliable and still plenty powerful.

a guy I know has one that is streetlegal, a very nice machine indeed, don't know if they can be made streetlegal in texas though...

thank you sir

Given the bikes in your sig, you will be disappointed with any XR...

XR's are great and extremely reliable, but I made the FE570 switch myself. I've always owned big bore XR's, but wanted something much more capable and comfortable off-road. My 570 is plated, but not really legal. I've always liked the Berg's and decided it was time, not to mention the differences in weight and horsepower. My Berg has about 63 HP after installing a new Procircuit T-4 pipe, weighs 252 lbs, and has a compression ratio of 11.8 to 1.  The XR650r weighs 346 and has 43 HP with 8.3 compression. Big difference in power and weight. I felt it immediately on the woods track. I raced XR600r's for a period of time and had loved them, well until I felt the Berg. As far as being a DS, you may have to change the gearing a bit from stock for better highway speeds. 

XR's are great and extremely reliable, but I made the FE570 switch myself. I've always owned big bore XR's, but wanted something much more capable and comfortable off-road. My 570 is plated, but not really legal. I've always liked the Berg's and decided it was time, not to mention the differences in weight and horsepower. My Berg has about 63 HP after installing a new Procircuit T-4 pipe, weighs 252 lbs, and has a compression ratio of 11.8 to 1.  The XR650r weighs 346 and has 43 HP with 8.3 compression. Big difference in power and weight. I felt it immediately on the woods track. I raced XR600r's for a period of time and had loved them, well until I felt the Berg. As far as being a DS, you may have to change the gearing a bit from stock for better highway speeds. 

You're quoting xr650l weight.  The 650r is around 300lb curb.

I've had 2 650r and love them but will admit they are a bit dated compared to a fe570.  The good thing about them is that you can pick up one with a lot of mods and work done for pretty good prices nowadays.  The 650r weights in at around 300lb weight in stock trim where as the fe570 is 275lb with lights.  The stock exhaust system on the 650r is really heavy.  I remember my modded supermoto 650r with a 3gal tank weighted in at 308lb with a full tank.  Mine made about 49.5hp and 44.5tq on the dyno modded where as fe570 should be around 565hp and 42tq stock. 

I think the 650r is the bike to look to for a dual sport ride that can do roads and more open trails on a budget.  Mine averaged 42mpg on the road and even with 5 speeds it was something you can ride around on 55mph roads no issues.  Yet you could still rip down orv style trails or wider.  A converted 650r with a plate would kill a drz400 for example.  If you had $4k to spend then that's the bike to look to.  If you can afford a fe570 then I wouldn't even look at the 650r.