I 'm looking to replace my bent rims. The local shop is quoting me $190 per wheel to straighten out the rims, re-spoke, and true. Seems really expensive... So I'm looking for alternatives.

If I buy used more than likely I will have to install new spokes because the nipples will be locked up... At least that has been my experience.

Were you ever able to get an answer?

Tusk has a 32 hole hoop that says it fits the XR600.  However they don't offer a "spoke kit".  My GUESS is that they only have 36 spoke "Spoke Kits". I'm gonna see if I can get an answer from a rep myself but it's always better to see if someone with the actual bike has 1st hand experience.

Were you ever able to get an answer?

Tusk has a 32 hole hoop that says it fits the XR600.  However they don't offer a "spoke kit".  My GUESS is that they only have 36 spoke "Spoke Kits". I'm gonna see if I can get an answer from a rep myself but it's always better to see if someone with the actual bike has 1st hand experience.

The Tusk 32 hole that says it fits doesn't, unless they have changed something recently.  The spoke count may be the same, but the pattern between the XR 32 is different than a CR/CRF which is what that rim really fits.  If you notice, the part numbers for the CRF application and the XR application are still the same (1420210005) so I would pretty much bet the farm that it won't fit.

I had bought one for my 650R and ended up trading it for some other stuff to a buddy of mine that put it on his 450X where it fit like a champ.  Shame, because although heavier than an Excel, they are a pretty darn tough rim.  I have the Tusk rims on a second set of wheels for my KTM and the front of my XR: they work great.

The Pro Wheel rear rim has the same issue, says it fits, but it really doesn't.

As for an XR specific spoke kit, the Tusk nipples are all the same size regardless of bike make, so if they made a spoke kit it would not fit the stock rim XR unless you were to drill it out.  XRs have smaller nipples than regular dirt bikes (CR/CRF/YZ, etc...).  That is my guess as to why they don't make a spoke kit.  The economies of scale won't let them do it at the price point and profit margin they want.

• Like 1

I 'm looking to replace my bent rims. The local shop is quoting me $190 per wheel to straighten out the rims, re-spoke, and true. Seems really expensive... So I'm looking for alternatives.

If I buy used more than likely I will have to install new spokes because the nipples will be locked up... At least that has been my experience.

An hour and a half of billable labor to spoke and retrue and I am assuming new spokes are part of the quote.  This seems like a pretty reasonable quote (from someone that used to work in a shop).

If you are having the rims straightened and using old spokes (replacing a handful of bent or frozen ones) then this quote is a deal.  

If it is someone that doesn't do it all the time, it will take them a LOT longer to get the wheel true than the time you were quoted.

The Tusk 32 hole that says it fits doesn't, unless they have changed something recently.  The spoke count may be the same, but the pattern between the XR 32 is different than a CR/CRF which is what that rim really fits.  If you notice, the part numbers for the CRF application and the XR application are still the same (1420210005) so I would pretty much bet the farm that it won't fit.

I had bought one for my 650R and ended up trading it for some other stuff to a buddy of mine that put it on his 450X where it fit like a champ.  Shame, because although heavier than an Excel, they are a pretty darn tough rim.  I have the Tusk rims on a second set of wheels for my KTM and the front of my XR: they work great.

The Pro Wheel rear rim has the same issue, says it fits, but it really doesn't.

As for an XR specific spoke kit, the Tusk nipples are all the same size regardless of bike make, so if they made a spoke kit it would not fit the stock rim XR unless you were to drill it out.  XRs have smaller nipples than regular dirt bikes (CR/CRF/YZ, etc...).  That is my guess as to why they don't make a spoke kit.  The economies of scale won't let them do it at the price point and profit margin they want.

Good to know!  when you fliter on parts that fit the XR600 they show the Tusk Rim as well as a Warp 9 (which I assume is the same rim), but they don't show any spokes that fit the XR600.  

The rear rim on my XR is in good shape but I have several bent and frozen spokes.  I was hoping that I could lace up a black rim to match my front (I destroyed my stocker a few years ago and replaced it with an Excel A60 which is super tough).  

Good to know!  when you fliter on parts that fit the XR600 they show the Tusk Rim as well as a Warp 9 (which I assume is the same rim), but they don't show any spokes that fit the XR600.  

The rear rim on my XR is in good shape but I have several bent and frozen spokes.  I was hoping that I could lace up a black rim to match my front (I destroyed my stocker a few years ago and replaced it with an Excel A60 which is super tough).  

It is expensive to do it, but as you have an A60 on the front you know the drill.  Excel does make a "normal" rim to fit the XR rear and has a spline drive spoke kit to match (it is required due to the larger hole).  For black, you would need an FEK-418 Excel rim in 2.15 width, or an FFK-418 if you wanted to go 2.5 wide.

It isn't always easy to find someone that has the Excel spokes in stock.  I think the last time I ordered the spoke set it was through Bike Bandit.  Was still cheaper than getting 32 new OEM Honda spokes.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 2:28 PM, eastreich said:

It is expensive to do it, but as you have an A60 on the front you know the drill.  Excel does make a "normal" rim to fit the XR rear and has a spline drive spoke kit to match (it is required due to the larger hole).  For black, you would need an FEK-418 Excel rim in 2.15 width, or an FFK-418 if you wanted to go 2.5 wide.

It isn't always easy to find someone that has the Excel spokes in stock.  I think the last time I ordered the spoke set it was through Bike Bandit.  Was still cheaper than getting 32 new OEM Honda spokes.

I bit the bullet and went with EXCEL.

I just got the FEK-418 today and hopefully the spokes show up tomorrow.  I was able to get the Hoop and Spokes from Amazon Warehouse Deals for ~$210.   Spending a few hundred bucks on this XR every couple years is still a lot cheaper than getting a new bike.  

So if you look closely at my rim, you'll notice that the spokes are slightly bent.  Turns out that Excel Takasago rims and spokes aren't compatible with the XRR.  I had the spokes loosen up after a little riding so I had Woody's in Denver give me an education about the compatibility of the Excel rear wheels. They re-drilled the rim and installed stainless spoke nipples and I now have a new bomb proof rear wheel.  

The thing is you need thinner gauge spokes to make the aftermarket Excel Takasago rim work with the stock hub or re-drill the rim!  

The Rear Rim/Spoke Combo I used were Excel Takasago parts:
Excel FEK418 Rim
Excel XS9-11187 Rear Wheel Spoke Set

All part numbers according to Excel and the catalogs (Western Powersports, Tucker Roxy) list the parts I bought as compatible with the XR600. I obviously searched the net before pulling the trigger and buying the parts. I was convinced they'd work (well correctly).

There is an alternative Excel that WILL work no problem it is the Notako which are also cheaper too.
Rear rim: Excel FEKN18
Rear spokes: Excel NS9-11187

Even though getting the Takasago set up to work on the XRR was a PITA and not a straight forward deal, I'm glad to have the beefier spokes on my bike. I've seen wheels destroyed on 2 stoke trail bikes here in Colorado where the rocky trails do a number on wheels. The weight and torque of the XR600R puts even more stress on wheels. Since this thread is such a great resource hopefully these part numbers and experiences will help the next person rebuilding their XRR rear wheel.

Edited by dukeryder

Hey, I always drool over black rims. How versatile are they though with using tire spoons on them?  I'd hate to have to start using rim shields when changing tires & feeling like I had to be super careful not to scratch them all up - it is a dirt bike after all, lol!  

But if the finish is tough, that would be awesome. 

3 hours ago, CongoXR650L said:

Hey, I always drool over black rims. How versatile are they though with using tire spoons on them?  I'd hate to have to start using rim shields when changing tires & feeling like I had to be super careful not to scratch them all up - it is a dirt bike after all, lol!  

That's why I stuck with silver for my Excel rims.

Permanent marker hides the dings nicely. Easy peasy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app