Sign in to follow this  

license Plate breaking

ok, its cracked about half way through, im not sure it will make it another day.....anyone have a fix for this? not zip ties.....I was thinking of fabing a plate out of aluminimum, just super simple..like a backing plate.....anyone have any other ideas? thanks

I had exactly the same issue. I used a scrap strip of aluminum, riveted the LP to it, drilled to mounting holes through the strip and mounted it in its original position.

1402520687744.jpg

1402520717706.jpg

Did that a few days ago ,thankfull i had them blinker bolts the wires kept my tag with me till i tore it off....but what i did is took an old toolbox cut a backing plate for the new tag...lil paint to jaz it up and ran my new stuff. No flex no crack

1402522723613.jpg

1402522899903.jpg

Ya... Just get a new plate. Problem solved

This.

But the problem will return, so make a backing plate when you get your new tag.

• Like 3

Mine did same thing. This time I have used 3m double sided tape to stick it on and the bolted. Hopefully the tape reduces the vibration. Been good for a few months now

Same problem I had so I made a backer from sheet aluminum and added silicone sealer between it and the plate before bolting it down so it didn't rattle.

IMG_1270_zps580a469a.jpg

• Like 3

I had that happen on a bike, I just put a bead of silicone on the back side of the crack , no more issue for me. At first I went to get another plate, and only every 7 years its free, or you have to pay.

Add a bigger backing(such as aluminum plate above), or use bolts with a wide head and a rubber grommet/rubber washer/oring to keep the vibrations from rattlign the plate causing it to crack. Happened on my old 650 sumo, very common with thumpers.

ok, its cracked about half way through, im not sure it will make it another day.....anyone have a fix for this? not zip ties.....I was thinking of fabing a plate out of aluminimum, just super simple..like a backing plate.....anyone have any other ideas? thanks

This is what happens when everyone puts these fancy schmancy tail kits on.

• Like 3

It's because there's no lower support. Run a couple strips of metal from the top holes to the bottom holes, maybe in an X pattern.

Same problem I had so I made a backer from sheet aluminum and added silicone sealer between it and the plate before bolting it down so it didn't rattle.

IMG_1270_zps580a469a.jpg

I did the same thing.....had some leftover 1/8th inch alum. plate, CNC'd the shape and did what you did.....turned out TITS!!  :smirk:

• Like 3

same thing happened to me. 

i caught it right before it was about to break off. used 1/8 drill at ends of cracks to try to stop it from propagating . then, like others, i had 1/16 scrap AL that i attached to eliminator. and then i bolted the plate to that.

if i cared more, i would have milled out center to skeletonize it. as it is quite heavy. but w/e

xFYLwQHs.jpg

Edited by accuracy
  • Like 2

When I converted to the Edge2 tail light I saw the problem in advance and got some aluminium plate from a friend. I made it a little over sized especially on the bottom to which I applied reflective tape. The DRC Edge2 bolt pattern does not fit Nevada plates. So I drilled new holes and the plate is now offset to the left a little out of the exhaust gas path from the MRD Z-Pro. Having the thicker plate behind it solved the problem very well.

• Like 2

Just curious how long have you had you DRC bracket installed and what kind of riding do you do? I had mine for a week before I made a new one that fits my US plate. I am going to produce my 3rd version of it soon. I changed the angle the plate sits at and added slots to fit all fifty US plates. The lesser angle that my plate sits at is less stress on the plate. 

IMAG0228.jpg

• Like 1

same thing happened to me. 

i caught it right before it was about to break off. used 1/8 drill at ends of cracks to try to stop it from propagating . then, like others, i had 1/16 scrap AL that i attached to eliminator. and then i bolted the plate to that.

if i cared more, i would have milled out center to skeletonize it. as it is quite heavy. but w/e

xFYLwQHs.jpg

I thought about "swiss cheesing" mine but I figured it would load up with dirt and be another thing to clean out?

Just another option. I used some 1"x 1/8" aluminum flat that I had. My plate was cracked half way through from both sides.

P1020168.JPG

• Like 2