Sign in to follow this  

Black shit leaking from airbox?

My rm85 has a little rubber grommet that connects the two and it does a nice job sealing it and it doesn't affect your ability to take the silencer off like caulking would

My rm85 has a little rubber grommet that connects the two and it does a nice job sealing it and it doesn't affect your ability to take the silencer off like caulking would

I seal  that grommet with caulk on my bikes. I also seal the silencer ends, and put a little bit of RTV silicone on the pipe o-rings before I attach the pipe to the engine. Air leaks in the exhaust system are bad juju. 

If you think that little bit of caulk makes it in any way difficult to remove the silencer, well, I don't know what to tell ya...

Of course, the caulk won't fix the underlying issue, which is rich jetting.

• Like 1

Yea but your totally correct to silicone the exhaust port but I was just saying that their are parts made for this issue and btw fmf endorses silicone use on the pipes

It's spooge coming from the pipe/silencer joint and getting all over the bike would be my guess.

+1, it's right under the pipe coupling.  Most just take a piece of high heat rubber hose to cover the mating groves.  But what I do is use is aluminum tape and wrap it around the grooves, then attach the hose.  Saves the hose and give is longer life, and of course you don't have the spooge all over the place.  If this is that bad, can you imagine what his muffler packing looks like?  That pictures indicates to me that it's time to hot tank the entire exhaust system, repack the muffler, and maybe consider using a higher gas to oil ratio. :devil:

Ok thanks, how would I go about fixing it??

Puf a kotex in the pipe, common repair for 2Ts
  • Like 1

Well I took the panel off and the tubing the previous owner had put on it broke. I replaced it and tightened the clamps. And I'm running 50:1 ratio.

1402618857082.jpg

50:1 is a ridiculous ratio for a 15,000 rpm 100 cc engine. Especially for a KX85/100, they are known for rod bearing failures (poor design) when run with lean oil ratios.

You need to be running at least 32:1 in that engine, if it were me it would be getting 20:1.

• Like 1

Puf a kotex in the pipe, common repair for 2Ts

Thought that fix was only for Harley's.