Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Rainbow Trail 6/14 or 15

I have never done any part of the Rainbow Trail and was considering an attempt this weekend. Thought was to start at Poncha Pass, ride to the Methodist mtn TH. Thats 25 miles or so then either drop down into Salida for lunch or turn arounnd and head back then go and partake in the Fibark festivities on the river. If anyone wants to join a not so fast guy for a go at this traiil that would be great.

You mean the TH on 285 near Mears Junction? That's a good ride. A little technical in places, but fun. I've ridden all of the RBT. Just for sheer fun, the southern half is the best, less technical, just beautiful trail.

I guessthats the th I am looking at. I know its up Pincha Pass a little bit. I heard about it being real sweet after Methodist mountain. I have been wanting to go for a couple years. Finally have a bike I know will make it( plus I have a plate) case I bail halfway I can slab back to truck.

Actually was planning on starting at the Shirley site access across from O'Haver.

I wish I was healed up enough I'd make the trek!  The RT is a great ride... although I've only spent time on the southern end really (SE of Hayden Pass).  It runs all the way south of the Westcliffe area down to Medano Pass which drops you into the back of the Great Sand Dunes.  North of Westcliffe a ways, near Hillside I think, the RT becomes single track (no quad wheelers).  South of there its a wider trail open to both bikes and atv's.  The north-western ST sections are pristine and can often be fairly challenging and some of it runs pretty high in elevation.  i.e.  There's a probably still some snow up there.  Some of the best riding in CO imho.  Lucky!!  :)

Looks like it's Methodist mtn to bear creek Saturday solo then Shirley site to Bear creek Sunday with a friend. I understand the latter lortion to have some tech spots so would rather not soolo that part

[quote name="fastfroggy" post="11677693" timestamp="140263

please let us know how it was, i'm looking to ride that trail soon.

have a great ride!

EPIC! I started at the trail head by Shirley site off cr 200. I am a lower "C" rider and the only siingletrack experience I have had is the Dr. Park trail in Taylor Park.

I thought the first sectio. before you get to 285 was fun. You have to commit because tbere is zero places to turn around or get over which also means no stopping. After you cross 285 you need to make sure your big boy pants are on. If you don.t like sidehill,steep, sidehill singletrack dont go because its crazy. The climbs are steep, narrow rocky loose and hacked up from many a person loosing balls and momentum and spinning their way over roots and rocks.

I was the only guy out of 6 that had a Rekluse and you could easily tell.

We all made it out, 5 of the 6 had never been. A few crashes lots of ego checks most of all we haad fun! We made it to the Methodist mtn entrance and slabbed back. 40 miles all told 2.7 hrs on the hourmeter and a lot of memories as this was THE most technical trail. I have ever dkne.

• Like 1

We all made it out, 5 of the 6 had never been. A few crashes lots of ego checks most of all we haad fun! We made it to the Methodist mtn entrance and slabbed back. 40 miles all told 2.7 hrs on the hourmeter and a lot of memories as this was THE most technical trail. I have ever dkne.

Glad you survived and enjoyed it. If you can do that section, the rest of the RB I think you'll find just plain fun.