Sign in to follow this  

Oil that doesnt cost a fortune?

I had been buying the honda engine and tranny oil but at 15 bucks a qt for each its getting a little old.

Is there any good oil that can be had at a better price?

And I'd also like to find some oil that can be run in both the engine and trans.

Shell Rotella T, white bottle or blue. Has the JASO-MA rating and you can buy it at Wal-Mart. I run it in my diesel truck my car, street bike, dirtbikes, quads, lawn mower best stuff

• Like 2

Lucas Mc 10w40 semi synthetic has been good for me 6$ litre. And i have put over 200hrs on this motor,tranny and clutch.

Shell Rotella T, white bottle or blue. Has the JASO-MA rating and you can buy it at Wal-Mart. I run it in my diesel truck my car, street bike, dirtbikes, quads, lawn mower best stuff

what he said

• Like 3

Which rotella? 15w40?

And you can use in both engine and trans?

Also how often do you have to change it?

More than the Honda brand?

Edited by tw191

Which rotella? 15w40?

And you can use in both engine and trans?

Also how often do you have to change it?

More than the Honda brand?

change it as much any other oil, I do mine every 5 hours, I run the white bottle(15w30) in my trans, and the blue bottle( synthetic 5w30) on my top end Edited by relic530
  • Like 1

I had been buying the honda engine and tranny oil but at 15 bucks a qt for each its getting a little old.

And I'd also like to find some oil that can be run in both the engine and trans.

how many hours do you normally go before an oil change?

Your dealer is gouging you. I pay 25ish for a gallon of Hp4 at the dealer. Noted the price cause most guys squawk about the price and thought it was odd. Maybe this dealer is just feeling the pressure and getting reasonable with prices. I do get better prices than I can on the net from them.

how many hours do you normally go before an oil change?

Well I bought the bike last summer and changed the oil when I got it, rode it a few times and changed it again. A few days later I went out to ride it and it wouldn't start. Just took it in a few weeks ago just heard back that I had some bent valves. So I'm about to get it back and looking for ways to save some money after the bill I'm about to get.

I use Rotella T too. In every bike I've ever owned, engine and tranny side. I usually change every 3-5 rides. It's like $12-13 a gallon at walmart.

Are you using the white bottle or blue?

And what weight?

White bottle. 15w40. Never had a problem with it. I've ran it in my 250f's, my 450 I have now, my 150r, all my 125 and 250 2-strokes Ive had, all my friends use it too.

How many hours have you gone between rebuilds on your 450s?

I have my first 450 still, which I got last summer. its an 09 crf450r. Ive put about 20 hours on it since i got it, so i cant give you any hard evidence yet. But like I said, every other bike ive had before Ive used rotella T. Most of the bikes I sold before them needing to be rebuilt. Honestly man any oil will work as long as you stick to strict changing intervals.

I have been using Castrol 4T 10W40 Motorcycle oil for years in my dirt bikes (desert racing) and never a problem.

I go with a different logic...Since Honda seperates the trany oil from the Engine oil, there is no reason to change before the owners manual recommended interval of 15 Hours. I bought an hour meter and use Amsoil every 15 hours. It's amazing how many rides you can get in before a change.

I believe a Expensive, High Quality oil changed every 15 hours is better than cheapo oil every couple rides.

I do change the trans oil with Maxima Gear oil every other ride. Air filters are "as needed".