Sign in to follow this  

why does a 450 four stroke cost more than a 250 four stroke?

putting aside the whole because people will pay more answer, is there any practical reason a 450 costs 2k more than a 250? its not like they use cheaper lower quality parts on a 250 or anything. seems like its just a larger bore and larger piston. was just wondering this the other day and thought someone might have some insight

Because people will pay more.

Also, the 450 is generally the engineering test bed, more design goes into it, then adapted to the 250. It's a way for the mfg to recoup R&D money.

• Like 3

Never thought of this, but you have a point. I guess just like with everything else it's the extra hp your paying for.

I am guessing the parts need to withstand heavier loads, everything from brakes to clutch to suspension to bearings, etc.  Even the rear tire is more expensive.  Part of the difference could be air forks (plus pump!) vs. SFF (KX) and other stuff like adjustable bars and pegs.  Is the "cost" of building a 450F more than the cost of building a 250F?  Definitely.  Is it $1,000 more?  Maybe, maybe not, but a 450F is a lot more machine than a 250F.  The difference in MSRP for the 2014 KX bikes is $1,100, or a 14.5% premium for the 450F vs. the 250F.  Sounds like a bargain . . . except $8,699 is a big price tag for a bike that won't take most of us to work.  If it were up to me, and I wasn't racing for money, I wouldn't be buying top-of-the line new anyway.  I would try to find a decent used 450F and build it the way I like it.  Except, as it stands now, a 2502T is probably the next project.  As an aside, a new KTM 250SX has an MSRP $400 less than a KX250F.  How that price tag is justified is beyond me.  My guess is KTM makes a LOT more on a 250SX than they do on their 250SXF.  Even so, I want one!

Supply and demand, more people want 450's than they want 250f's. This also explains why the 450's usually get more R&D. Makes sense to put the development costs into the product that is going to sell more.

Human nature being what it is, were a 250 and a 450 the same price, very few 250’s would be sold.

Same reason a pickup truck with a 6 cylinder engine costs less than one with a V-8.

Same reason a pickup truck with a 6 cylinder engine costs less than one with a V-8.

??

there is a lot more parts in your comparison to justify cost   like 6 vs 8 cylinders/ pistons/ connecting rods/ injectors/ valves/ wiring/  crank length/ exhaust ETC  the list goes on 

unlike  the OP's question on why a single cylinder bike cost more just due to displacement

I am guessing the parts need to withstand heavier loads, everything from brakes to clutch to suspension to bearings, etc.  Even the rear tire is more expensive.  Is the "cost" of building a 450F more than the cost of building a 250F?  Definitely.  Is it $1,000 more?  Maybe, maybe not, but a 450F is a lot more machine than a 250F.  

What he said except the parts I deleted. :busted: