Sign in to follow this  

Loctite Mod Question

I was reading about the Loctite Mod and was wondering if I needed to do it.  My bike is 13 years old with 9000 miles on it.  Most of these were off road.  If I was going to have a problem with stator bolts, etc wouldn't it already have happened.  Just thinking there is more probability for me messing something up than screws/bolts coming loose if they have lasted 13 years.

Thanks in advance for you time responding.

• Like 1

Some people ride tens of thousands of hard miles without doing the fixes and never have issues.  Others that don't do the fixes have major failures within a few hundred or thousand miles or even after lots of years / miles.  Some do the fixes and still end up having failures.  Kind of a "luck of the draw" sort of thing.  If you have the time, money, and know how to do the fixes, it is most certainly to your advantage and good for peace of mind.  If you don't do them, you might get luck and be OK, but you might not.

I was reading about the Loctite Mod and was wondering if I needed to do it.  My bike is 13 years old with 9000 miles on it.  Most of these were off road.  If I was going to have a problem with stator bolts, etc wouldn't it already have happened.  Just thinking there is more probability for me messing something up than screws/bolts coming loose if they have lasted 13 years.

Thanks in advance for you time responding.

You never know when a problem can happen. Could be first week or 13th year. It 's totally up to you but now that you jinxed yourself they may all happen now. I know for i would go out to the garage to find my bike imploded. But at least it is good to hear that these bikes can hold together that long.

Bought my S model, 2000 w/ 15k miles... it was used pretty hard. All hardware associated with the "loctite-fixes" was tight except the C/S nut and clutch hub nut.

The "loctite-fixes" really aren't difficult if you can wrench and have some common sense. It gave me piece of mind having done them. If the hardware hasn't loosened up in 13 years and 15k miles of good use... likely it wouldn't have loosened up for the life of the engine. However you won't know if the hardware is tight or loose till you open it up and at that point you should do the "loctite-fixes".

• Like 1