Sign in to follow this  

Muffler heatshield

I want to use some soft luggage on my DRZ 400S that I've used on my other bike (BMW K75).  It looks like the right side bag will be very close to the muffler and I fear I'll set it on fire.  I've Googled and searched DRZ forums and found just a couple of ideas on how to distance the bag from the muffler.  Anybody out there who has dealt successfully with this?

I saw that too.  I'll fabricate something if I have to; I'm hoping somebody makes one I can buy.

The Company Giant Loop has a muffler can shield for around $25 dollars. They make motorcycle saddle bags and such so they are aware of the problem and made their version of a solution.

• Like 1

I want to use some soft luggage on my DRZ 400S that I've used on my other bike (BMW K75).  It looks like the right side bag will be very close to the muffler and I fear I'll set it on fire.  I've Googled and searched DRZ forums and found just a couple of ideas on how to distance the bag from the muffler.  Anybody out there who has dealt successfully with this?

fold over your tag from last year, or a similar sized piece of thin metal and put a 1/2" spacer between the folds. then another 1/2" spacer between the muffler and your home made heatshield. secure it with stainless hose clamps or whatever, and your plastics / luggage will be fine. 

if you really want to be sure, use three folds instead of one, and 1/2" spacers in between each fold. 

if you don't put something in there, rest assured you will burn through your plastics and your bags very early on. 

Most of the "Rackless" designs will position directly over the side panels... the DRZ is blessed with fairly robust plastic, which in my experience has not required any additional bracing or heat shielding ....

IMG_4270_zps8e34f21c.jpg

Most of the "Rackless" designs will position directly over the side panels... the DRZ is blessed with fairly robust plastic, which in my experience has not required any additional bracing or heat shielding ....

IMG_4270_zps8e34f21c.jpg

Nice bike,  got any more pics?  fuel looks kinda redish.

Nice bike,  got any more pics?  fuel looks kinda redish.

I could probably dig up a couple .... as far as the color ....Stabil Fuel Treatment

• Like 1

OK, I've ordered the shield from Giant Loops.  When I get it installed I'll let you know how it works.  Thanks for the responses.

IMG_4286_zps129bf247.jpg

IMG_4271_zpse85a1cd4.jpg

Ok, more info on these saddle bags please. Who makes them? Where can I buy some?  Are they as easy to remove / put on as they look?

Saw this on another forum back when I was looking into it.

I made this one yesterday based on this design using an old license plate and some heat shield tape.

IMG_03931.JPG

IMG_03941.JPG

Ok, more info on these saddle bags please. Who makes them? Where can I buy some?  Are they as easy to remove / put on as they look?

…. OBR ADV Gear ….. and Yes