Sign in to follow this  

06 KX250F not running right after oil change

I know I'm not completely stupid, but I just recently did an oil change on my bike and replaced filter.. Well right when I fired it up i noticed it was runny really crappy, won't idle, popping and running hotter than normal, I've done multiple oil changes but this issue has me confused, I went through my carb and it's clean, I put 1.5 qts in, my only guess is that I put too much in and fouled the plug but I could be wrong

• Like 1

Why did you think that 1.5 qt's is the right amount?

You can google search all this stuff:

1.1 change

1.3 change with new filter

1.6 change with dry motor

You probably just have a dirty pilot jet

Replace it with a NEW ONE

Google could also tell me my Jonson rod is out of line lol, cleaned the jets bout 5 mins ago, still doing the same thing, like I said it was running fine till I did the oil change

• Like 1

Bike was running great, until I changed oil and oil filter.. I used Kawasaki 10w-40, also messed with clutch plates a little but did nothing with carb, put everything back together and fired it up and it immediately was acting funny, backfiring and won't idle.. I'm very confused, cleaned the jets last night.. Still acting the same

Are your valves still good? Did the chain slip and make your timing off?

Bike was running great, until I changed oil and oil filter.. I used Kawasaki 10w-40, also messed with clutch plates a little but did nothing with carb, put everything back together and fired it up and it immediately was acting funny, backfiring and won't idle.. I'm very confused, cleaned the jets last night.. Still acting the same

Silly question, but did you put the filter in the right way?

Yes filter is on right

Okay, the amount of oil you put in is fine, but something else happened.  I asked about the filter, 'cause if it is backwards, that can cause all kinds of problems.  The hole goes in.  Next thing to do is pull that oil filter and double check, but also see if it is saturated and not caved in like an hour glass.  I assume it will be fine.

Next step is to make sure the boots from the carb are on tight and in the right orientation and not cracked or split.  Make sure your air filter is nice and clean and freshly oiled.  Make sure your hot start is not stuck open, and that the plunger is clean, and the o-ring on the front of the plunger is in good shape.  I put a thin coat of grease on the hot start before I put it back in.  Before you do any of this, you can start the bike and spray a fine mist of carb cleaner near the air boots to see if it is taking in air where it shouldn't be.  A little is enough.  If you are drawing air from the boots, RPMs will increase when you spray the carb cleaner.  

The other thing to check is the head pipe to the head.  If that isn't sealed, the head pipe will be very hot and the bike will run like crap.  It could have been moved during your last ride?  

Next is to pull the valve cover off and check clearances on the valves.  Also take a look around in there.  Oil should be present everywhere.  If it isn't there may be a problem getting oil up to the head.  

Next is to double check your timing.  Pull the plug, insert a screwdriver, find TDC and make sure the dots are at 9:00 and 12:00 for the exhaust cam and 12:00 and 3:00 for the intake cam.  There should be 12 pins from 12:00 to 12:00 dots, including the pins on the dots.  

While the plug is out, take a look.  If it is toasty brown, that's good.  If it is not, let us know.

When you put the carb back together, did you put the hole on the plate facing down?  When you were cleaning it, did you hit the-hot start plunger with carb cleaner and destroy the 0-ring?

That's what I have for the moment.  

Ok I'll try all this in the morning, but also either oil or coolant was coming out of tiny hole on clutch side of the motor, looks like some form of an overflow or something it was brown looking and it evaporated before I could tell what it was

Ok I'll try all this in the morning, but also either oil or coolant was coming out of tiny hole on clutch side of the motor, looks like some form of an overflow or something it was brown looking and it evaporated before I could tell what it was

There are two weep holes.  One is on the right of the cylinder, one is on the front of the motor under the water pump.  The one on the cylinder is there to drain the spark plug hole if water gets in there.  The water pump one is to drain oil or water if either of the water pump seals fails.  Which hole was leaking?