Sign in to follow this  

TM fork options.

Hello Tm owners,

I have a 2012 TM EN300 with the Marzochi Forks.

In Australia the 2013 model came with Kayaba Forks. Just in the shed measuring the upper tube diameters,at the upper and lower triple clamp area of my 48mm equipped YZ250. The Diameters of the different brand fork tubes are so close that there is hardly a difference. I recon my YZ front end will go straight into the TM triple clamps given that you can order the bike with your preferred fork brand. I doubt that TM would have changed the triple clamp dimensions and that it would suit either the Marzochi or the KYB.

Any comments    

If you want to do MX then give it a bash. What are you hoping to achieve with the change? I have found that the marzocchi can be dialled in to do just about anything except top level mx.

well having owned Yamaha's I am familiar with the Kayaba fork. seems to be a lot more info about valving the Kayaba Vs the Marzocchi. I can service the Kayaba myself, I have no experience with the Marzocchi. 

I have had my Marzocchi revalved to give a smother ride still could be improved. I think I will put the Yamaha forks in as an experiment and see how it feels.

I will post my Marzocchi shim stack when its due for some oil, be good to get some set up info.

main reason for the post was to ask if there was a part number change or difference in the triple clamps from the kayaba to the Marzocchi

There is, yes. The 2014 TM KYB clamps are a 22mm offset (24mm in 2013). The Marzocchi clamps are a 18mm offset, I assume because the fork lugs on the zokes hold the front axle farther forward than the KYB's.

So if you manage to get the clamps to work with your KYB's expect potential handling issues. You will also need a YZ front brake caliper, axle and complete wheel as the caliper bolt holes are spaced differently on the marzocchi lugs and they use a unique caliper to fit.

Contact Pete Vetrano as he has done this conversion on his personal bike and can tell you if there 's anything else that I haven't thought of. I recall reading that a YZ top clamp was required, and because of the offset that may be difficult. I don't know if anyone makes 18mm offset clamps or not, and if they do, they may only be available as a pair.

I don't know if the TM stem would fit a YZ lower clamp, but if it would, it would fix the 18mm offset issue. 22 or 24mm would be best, both work great.

Edited by Camstyn

Are the fork lugs between TM kayaba sss forks the same as Yamaha kayaba sss forks? Basically will a 17 TM kayaba sss equipped bike's caliper, axle, wheel, and spacers work with Yamaha kyb forks. Thanks