Sign in to follow this  

chinese bikes for everyone

Hey I know I'm a tt newb and posting a lot for a noob but this is the first place I've found where I'm not criticized for switching to Chinese bikes. Growing up I rode jap because that's what my dad bought and was always in trouble for breaking something even if it was due to my learning curve ( riding since I was 4 on 2 wheels and sleds quads at 6). Now I'm a husband and a dad of a 5.5yo at 24 and in a poor economy I keep my wife daughter and myself riding by buying China bikes. Now I will admit I have a Yamaha wolerine 350. But its for sale as we are expecting another child and my daughter will be ready for a larger bike or quad soon. As much as people bash Chinese bikes someone like me could never afford to keep a family riding. Granted what toys I have may change often due to failures or upgrades but I'm yet to loose $ on a Chinese toy be it new or used. This is because when buying them I know things will break and my hands will get dirty. After finding several parts suppliers before buying Chinese of course (ok maybe a lie.. I had one at 18 I sold for 30$ cause I didn't know where to get a stator then). Either way, my father kept himself and me riding sleds quads and bikes but never the right size or outdated and constantly in need of repair and I was gratefull but my sisters and mother never got the opportunity. Now the economy is worse, the big 5 are more expensive, and I feel obligated as a husband and father to provide the opportunity my mother and sisters never had (aside from putting around the house after I was pried off whatever toy). The point is with all these Chinese toys my whole family has something to ride at almost all times. We have no cable or satellite tv we spend our time outdoors doing something we couldn't afford to do otherwise (ok I hook up tv in the winter but I'm in northern Ontario dont judge till u experience winter here). I'm posting this here because this is the first place nobody has criticized for my choice of toys. I would like to ask now how many others feel the same about there Chinese toys and keep there family outdoors on them when it would otherwise be to expensive. Btw I have less than 3000$cdn into the 250cc the 125cc(bought new) and the 50cc and that includes repairs to date. Also sorry for spelling, grammar and punctuation. Not my strong suits.

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

• Like 1

The prices are right for sure.  One big problem and it has always been a Chinese problem, their steel is SOFT, not like USA steel.  The rims will bend, the chain will stretch out constantly, its all about the bad steel. I am not bashing your bike choices since I have a Chinese SSR 125 with inverted forks, and I like it.  It does have steering problem due to small tires, 14 front, 12 rear and they do not  offer bigger ones.  In sand mine sucks, I am working on the problem. 

BTW I like the looks of your bikes, wish I had bought one like yours with the bigger wheels. BUT since I live in California, they could not sell me the bikes with bigger tires due to smog issues to be met before sale in California.

I am trying to get a 17 inch front wheel on mine.

have fun, your riding.. that is what counts, not those that keep saying, "get a REAL bike" ha ha...  I HAD THEM.. love the mini bikes much better. 

The red 250 is still only like 18" front 16" back. Still technically a pit bike and to solve the problem on the 125 I put I little skinny 14" front with little tread and a very aggressive Michelin rear tire. Not perfect but solves a lot of the steering problems. Yes metal is cheap and parts will break and a gio 250 is NOT GOOD on a track, but I knew all this before and my choices were a real nice used bike for just myself or teach the family to ride together. Yes I'm always fixing something... Sometimes just because I looked at them wrong parts may break, and yes I will get another real bike one day, but for now my whole family rides for the price of one bike.

Oh n btw slip if you go to put on a 17" front wheel you will need a taller fork and it makes the front end feel heavy. Not saying don't do it but I tried a few years back n just had a different set of problems after.

• Like 1

Don't pay any mind to comments like "get a real bike". I've heard a lot of crap come from guys that are "brand loyal" or belong to one owners club or another and in my old age have realised that its just a bunch of BS. I have owned and maintained at least one of most every brand. I like working on bikes, all bikes. They all have their perticular quirks and shortcomings that have to be addressed.

I see more and more Chinese machinery and there is a learning curve, where to get parts, what fits what, etc.

It sounds like you are doing a good job of what is important. Giving your family the opportunity to experience power sports on a limited budget and during poor economic times is big achievement. Good on you!

• Like 1

I've worked on a lot of bikes for a young guy,personally always rode red or blue growing up and I broke them just as often.. ill also be the first to admit there is no comparing a real mx bike to a gio and I still miss having a real bike. But at the very least we all ride and we all have fun doing it.. and I would bet after spending time on an overweight pig of a 250 with how hard you have to work to ride these fast it will just make me that much faster when o have a real bike again.

• Like 1

Just from what I've seen on some Chinese quads... I'd never trust them for my kid... Saw an a arm bolt break once while cruising around the yard, quad had like 10 hrs yard time and a bolt shears? Other stories too, glad you've had good luck but I myself steer clear

I wouldn't say I've had good luck.. what I have is tools and some mechanical skill. I test each bike myself and modify what I need to to make them safer and more reliable. Usually at little to no cost aside from time.

• Like 1

Why buy a cheap POS Chinese bike when you could buy a good used Japanese bike that is 10x better?

Because for the cost of one good jap bike is the same as what I spent on all 3 to keep my family riding. I would love a real bike again but when faced with a choice between my family riding or just me I choose my family.
  • Like 2

Because for the cost of one good jap bike is the same as what I spent on all 3 to keep my family riding. I would love a real bike again but when faced with a choice between my family riding or just me I choose my family.

um how much did each bike cost individually because I'm pretty sure you can get a used Honda crf110 for like 500 600 bucks a piece I see them go for that all the time were I live, and I'm assuming that's how much it cost you for each Chinese bike new, and for you, you could have brought an older kawasaki kdx200 for 800 bucks running and have a great woods bike full size bike too, there were other options rather then buying a Chinese bike, or if you still didnt have enough dough you could have waited a few weeks saved up a little more cash then go out and buy some name brand bikes, I'm not bashing bro I had a Tao Tao 125 quad years ago and boy was that a lemon it almost killed me, I was ridding third gear going about 35 and the whole brake system fell apart on the bike, that's right no brakes I had to roll into a wood chip pile, it could have ended very bad, but good luck and I hope you have fun with bikes
  • Like 1

Bikes where I am are ridiculesly overpriced. Double the prices you stated if you are lucky. My Chinese 250 I have around 370$ into now the the green one about 800-900$ with the upgrades and the pocket bike I've got 15$ into. The rest of the 3000$ spent was safety gear n what not.

• Like 1

Bikes where I am are ridiculesly overpriced. Double the prices you stated if you are lucky. My Chinese 250 I have around 370$ into now the the green one about 800-900$ with the upgrades and the pocket bike I've got 15$ into. The rest of the 3000$ spent was safety gear n what not.

you spend over 3k on Chinese bikes??? That's crazy man, I could have easily gotten 5 bikes over In ct for that, I would have gotten 2 crf110s 1100 a kdx200 800 a crf50 400 bucks and a crf150f 700 bucks there you go, all I'm saying is that was a little un wise to drop that kind of money into Chinese bikes, all the bikes I've mentioned above come with plenty of after market support dealers will actually service them and there just better over build quality and feel trust me, when I sold my Tao Tao and brought my 300ex the whole build quality and feel was just light years ahead, shifting threw gears felt smoother and the ride was better
  • Like 1

The bikes themselves total less than 1400$. There is nothing wrong with what I spent on them. Yes I had to buy some special tools to work on them and lots of spare parts so add 4-500$ there, then riding gear for 3 ppl (ads up real quick) but the 1400 I had into the bikes themselves by the time they were all running is not at all unreasonable. Especially compared to typical bike prices up here. I do also have a Yamaha wolerine for when I feel I need 4 wheels and to ride the local trail systems (Chinese toys are hard to plate and insure) and yes I will admit its light years better but its also has to many wheels so its for sale.

• Like 1

The bikes themselves total less than 1400$. There is nothing wrong with what I spent on them. Yes I had to buy some special tools to work on them and lots of spare parts so add 4-500$ there, then riding gear for 3 ppl (ads up real quick) but the 1400 I had into the bikes themselves by the time they were all running is not at all unreasonable. Especially compared to typical bike prices up here. I do also have a Yamaha wolerine for when I feel I need 4 wheels and to ride the local trail systems (Chinese toys are hard to plate and insure) and yes I will admit its light years better but its also has to many wheels so its for sale.

you could have sold that wolverine for 2k kept that 1400 and boom there's 3500 in spending money for brand named bike like I said, yes it's more expensive to fix but I bet of you maintain it right it won't need any fixing those Chinese bikes always break you said it yourself, I'm just saying I would have went a different route, do you plan someday, when you could afford too, by your family all brand name bikes or are you just going to keep the Chinese bikes?

The wolverine is for sale for 3500$ as are all the others in the same shape in this area. And its a very reliable bike. It only ever gave me trouble once hauling a passenger and a broken dirt bike strapped to it and that's because of overloading it... Regardless a new rear brake caliper, lines, bearings in all 4 corners, rebuilt both diffs... Got real expensive for only 1 bad day. And yes my family will be on better bikes soon starting with my daughter. Been looking for a pw50 or pw80 for her but there anywhere from 600-1000 around here for a nice one.