Sign in to follow this  

Can I use regular gas in a race gas only bike?

I'm looking at a 2006 yz 125 for sale but aperantly he says the bike can only take race fuel. The question I have is why would that be and also can I just use regular gas?

He likely has had a head mod done, or thinner base gasket, ect... This bumps up the compression. The higher the compression the more prone the engine is to knocking. Knocking is also know as detonation. Detonation is when the combustible mixture ignites in the cylinder before the piston reaches TDC and without spark from the plug. This can cause such high temps it can literally melt a hole in the piston.

High octane fuels are designed to better resist knock and as such are used with higher compression engines. Even in a stock bike you should run nothing less than 91 octane...

Find out what he has had done to the bike...

• Like 3

Yes but only if it is poured down the exhaust pipe rather than the fuel tank. And it can't be to strong so run a 50 to 1 mix of vegetable grease and water. Hope this helps!! Ps- to make the bike even faster dilute a small pelet of rabbit fecal matter into some apple juice and pour it into where the tranny fluids go! You will be shifting faster than a one legged man in a but kicking competition!! ;)image.jpg

Lots of retards on craigslist say "runs on race gas only" because they think it makes the bike sound faster. Never trust anything you see on craigslist. I have been screwed over one too many times.... You should be fine running high octane pump gas though even it has compression mods like fattonz suggested.

• Like 3