Sign in to follow this  

starter motor removal doh!

hi all got an issue with a washer and a tarter motor the starter motor work great but i dropped a washer underneath it dont ask me how it got from the at to there but it did can i just leave it or should i take the s/m out ? i dont htinkk it will cause any problems and i wa thinking of taking it out but it tight in there and i think lots of things have to be moved removed the manual doesnt really show anything in fact in a paragraph it say something abourt cylinder removal so i stopped reading right there many thanks cya braap

So the washer is under the starter motor on the outside of the case?   You can leave it there....probably will bounce out after a while.   It's going to make noise though.

What about a magnetic pickup though?  That should fish it out.

Jim.

yeah i tried the magnet even loosened off the two bolts i could get to buy the clutch actuator arm so i could lift the rear end a little but still no good i also had the bike on its side hoover in the gap (wife not best pleased with me about her dyson attatchements coverd in tape ) i just did not want to pull the starter off and start another problem like putting it back on and i did not want to start pulling carbs off etc all i wanted was to know the easiest way to get the starter on /off but the manual (haynes)was in my mind a little bit vague i am 100 %sure i can get it off just did not want to start something i could not finish ..been out on the bike since and no issues but now any noise i do hear i think is it the washer ? mind games and motobikes deadly combo!! what do you know about adjustable ignitions jim worth while investment ? i know nothing about the actual gains given i understand they can be good but by how much i dont know ....thanks for replying i appreciate your input wish i could do the same for you ..mayby one day ?

Sorry, no experience with the adjustable ignitions.   I would suggest trying the "pink wire" mod if you have not already done so.  That will give you the R's ignition curve, but really your not going to notice a big difference unless you have the cam and a modified exhaust to go with it.

You after more performance, or is fuel type/quality a problem?

Jim.

What about trying to remove the washer by using some safety wire and "dental flossing" it out the way it went in? It sounds like it's too lodged for a magnet to pull it out. Spray some sort of lubrucant like WD 40 and use wire or twine to wrap around it and pull it out. You may be able to loosen the starter motor enough to more easily dislodge it while fishing it out. Good luck.

• Like 1