Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 250 clutch Issue

It's been a while since I have talked DRZ's since getting a WRF, but I am going to sell my old DRZ250 but I want to sort out a clutch issue it has had for ages!.

Firstly my DRZ is heavily modified, it has a 300cc kit, a TM33 carb, exhaust etc. From the moment I installed the big bore kit I noticed the clutch start to slip.

So I installed new plates, and a new basket (stupidly trying to take short cuts I cracked it).

This made a fair improvement but it still slipped when I loaded it up a lot.

I then bought some HD clutch springs... no improvement, so I added washers on springs to put more pre-load. Still no improvement, it was still slipping under lots of load.

Just before getting the WRF I noticed it was slipping more and more. And I have recently taken it out and it is really bad now.

I pulled the clutch down last night to have a look at it, and as far as I can see it all looks good. But my thoughts are for some reason the whole system is not biting together and I cant see why.

After searching lots of threads, I am thinking it might be something really stupid like my Oil choice. I was running Delo 400, but before last ride I thought that might be the issue so switched to an oil highly reguarded here in Aus by dirtbikers (but still a diesel oil like Delo 400) but if enything it seems WORSE. maybe I should just try some chep Motorbike only Oil.

OK I had a bit more of a look last night. Everything seems right in the basket. I might have had the wave spring upside down... I can't remember. The diagram in the manual is so hard to figure out... I've forgot what it was like haha

Anyway one thing I read yesterday in other posts was to check the cable, disconnect both ends and pull it both ways yo look for fraying.... guess what I have a frayed cable :(

All these years of riding with a slipping clutch might be as simple as a new cable! I'll order a new one and see how it is then

OK I had a bit more of a look last night. Everything seems right in the basket. I might have had the wave spring upside down... I can't remember. The diagram in the manual is so hard to figure out... I've forgot what it was like haha

Anyway one thing I read yesterday in other posts was to check the cable, disconnect both ends and pull it both ways yo look for fraying.... guess what I have a frayed cable :(

All these years of riding with a slipping clutch might be as simple as a new cable! I'll order a new one and see how it is then