Sign in to follow this  

What's the best oil for drz400

There are lots of threads in the archives on motor oil.It really has been beaten to death.

Use whatever you're comfortable with.Any motorcycle specific 10W-40 or 50 meeting the JASO MA standard as outlined in the owners/service manual.Just make sure you change it really often as the oil is shared with the transmission and the wet clutch,so it breaks down pretty fast.I wouldn't use anything heavier than a 50 weight because of the plastic oil pump gears susceptibility to breakage.There are many good brands at your local cycle store,Suzuki,Honda,Yamalube etc,and then the premium brands like Fuchs,Motul,Maxima,Motorex,Spectro just to name a few.

• Like 1

Your gonna get 5 million different answers with everybody that "knows" there oil is the best. A lot of people use Amsoil 20/50. It seemed to quiet my motor down from 10/40. It's also gonna be 100+ degrees for the next 4 months so she likes the thick stuff

I was using Mobil 1 motorcycle synthetic, I also tried Castro, Valvoline and a few others. Since installing my SM wheels I had been noticing  a 4th and 5th gear low RPM slip with my Rekluse clutch I read others were experiencing the same and after switching to Shell Rottella 15-40 it was better. I switched to Rottella and my DRZ is the quietest its ever been, shifts the smoothest its ever shifted and the slip is defiantly better. No more synthetic just Rottella 15-40 for me from now on. I do run Synthetic in all my cars though. We have always run Rottella in the Model A I built for my dad because its just about the only oil that still contains Zink. Rottella is $13 a gallon at Wally World