Sign in to follow this  

Re-plate or re-sleeve ?

So Few months ago i over heated my rm125 popped the head gasket and it also seized up slightly. Well Now after doing all my traveling and such i'm finally ready financially to rebuild my motor. Only thing is i'm still slightly new to the whole Nikasil cylinders and such and am just wondering if you guys could tell me if i will be able to get away with just re-plating the cylinder vs having to re-sleeve the whole thing. I'v emailed Millennium and its been a little over a week and still no reply so figured id ask here. 

As from the Photo you can see its not that bad of damage "at least compared to others iv seen" 

Also it is already bored to a 58mm piston or 144cc from stock 54mm, also imagine its the Stock sleeve in there still Person i bought the bike from had no clue what was done to it when i bought it from him. 

Piston_zps299d357c.jpg

and the piston if its any help 

piston1_zps980b982b.jpg

I have always been told that replating (nikasil etc) will give you a small advantage in heat transfer, will wear slightly better, will have a slightly lower co-efficient of friction. It does however cost more, can't be bored over when you damage it (one of the main reasons people do a sleeve) and if done poorly (be sure you use powerseal or equal) can be fragile and flake or peel. 

Iron sleeved cylinders cost less, can be easily bored to oversized, can be easily honed for proper ring seal etc.

I think the question is more a question of economics than it is one of performance. Sleeving gives you a little more time and wear for less money, plating gives a little more in performance, but the general consensus seems to be that the performance differences don't matter unless you are racing, or ride really aggressive. 

I went through this decision a couple of weeks ago and read lot's. I ended up having the cylinder plated, in addition to some porting and head work etc. 

Powerseal can replate that for under $250. Get it replated doesn't look bad. Remove the studs and powervalve and clean it up good and it will save you more money. The better prepped the cheaper it is.