Sign in to follow this  

OFF ROAD BIKE FOR A BIG GUY

I'm trying to talk my dad into buying a dirt bike. He's 54, 6'6" about 280# in decent shape. When I say BIG guy I don't mean fat, although he isn't Mr Fitness either, but seriously he will have to be careful when in the woods that he isn't mistaken for a Squatch. :jawdrop:  He doesn't think he can find a bike that will haul him through tight trails, and be tame enough to ride for an hour at a time without wearing him out. He started riding when he was 9 and has owned several bikes over the years mostly street or street/trail.

Looking for something light as possible powerful but not too zippy and low maintenance. I was thinking XR 600/650 or DR650 but I know there are other options maybe XR400 or KTM SX505 KTM 525? 

Thanks for any help. 

Edited by Alabama

If you want light go two stroke but they need to be rode in the higher rpm's so that might not be what you want. I just bought a 99 yz 400f from someone about his height but that probably weighed less and used it for trail riding but didn't like it because it was too fast for him but I think with the added weight it would work well.

525 is a good bike. Maybe 450f?

I will put a vote in for a good used WR450.  Bullet proof.  A little heavy but but very tame and powerful when you need it.  I have a 2006 WR450 and love it.  I am not near as big as him but the bike does perform well.

• Like 2

A KTM 300, with a tall seat and bar risers would be a good choice. Lots of power, mellow delivery, easy to ride. A tall seat and taller bars or bar risers are gonna make any bike a lot more comfortable for him.

I'm thinking the KLX650 would be a good choice. Only one problem, I cant find one nearby. Do any of you know if the KLX is taller than an XR650/600

No they're not taller and impossible to buy parts for. Get an XR650R instead. Xlnt bike. Not the L!!!

I will put a vote in for a good used WR450.  Bullet proof.  A little heavy but but very tame and powerful when you need it.  I have a 2006 WR450 and love it.  I am not near as big as him but the bike does perform well.

Any of the 450 wide ratio bikes would probably work well for him (WR450F, KLX450R, CRF450X, KTM 450XC-W).  Seems like the perfect candidate for a WR450F.  Would probably feel comparatively light to a big guy like him.  As long as the mods have been done, it will have plenty of power and they seem to be low maintenance in my experience.

Many times the 450's are over recommended and it is too much bike, but it seems good for your Dad's situation.

I rode with a guy that had an XR600R and is a pretty big guy (not as big as your Dad) and it did well on the trails, but the weight and no elec start would wear him down.  He moved to a KLX450R and seems happy and likes the power as much or more than the XR600R.

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1

I'm 5'10, 250 or so, but was up to 285 not too long ago.  The 2012 WR450F works great for me, but as others have stated.. he will need stiffer springs.  With his proportioning, bar risers and higher seat foam might be a plus.

I love the stock valving on my WR. Whatever bike he gets, change the springs and then see how it works. No sense trying to change something with nothing to compare it to.