Sign in to follow this  

bike too small for me?

i recently picked up a 2009 honda crf450r i moved off a 04 yz250f and the honda just seems so much smaller i was wondering if i can do anything to make it fit me better im 6'2 and 220 lbs it also has a pro circut lowering link but i dont think it lowers the back end down much. if anyone has ay ideas for me id apreciate it i thought it was gonna be a bigger bike cuz its newer n a 450 but my 250 sat higher

I would fit the standard linkage back in it. It will sit alot taller. Im 6"3 myself, my friend put same linkage in his kxf 450 and theres no way i could ride it. He is only 5"6 so hes a short ass!! Haha. Easy fix mate.

Definitely remove the link.

Ive always thought that the height of the bikes are usually that Hondas are small, yamahas are tall.

Ye i ride 2010 yz 250 2 stroke. It sits perfect for me. But i weigh 95kg and need a respring n valving. But cant afford it, bike still handles well. I wound spring up to get my 95 mm sag but i got zero static and wants to top out so wound down a bit again to get 110mm sag and doesent top out no more. Maybe i just need ta loose a few kgs!! Haha. Yammys deffinatly sit alot taller then the hondas. Did u get the standard likage with your bike when you purchased it??

Time out. The new and old yami's don't sit any taller then the honda.

Remove the lowering link for sure first thing. I'm 6'1 and my crf450 felt small to me until I installed the after market tripple clamps with the scotts dampner and that alone lifted the bars 3/4 to one inch then I installed the pro taper cr mid bars( next time in getting the highs and you def should) AND the fastway foot pegs in the low boy setting. They move the pegs down 3/4 of a inch and back 3/4 of a inch and while that might not seem like much it makes the biggest difference. I was always either sitting when riding or standing being over and felt really awkward and now I'm standing 90% of the time with my knees gripping the bike and it's 100% better!

About the honda vs yami debate.. This was last Saturday.. My Hondas in the middle and left is a 06 yami(special edition is why it's yellow) and right a 2012 yami.. btw my honda smokes the shit out of both of those bikes.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402587951.947993.jpg

Edited by Diggla117

Time out. The new and old yami's don't sit any taller then the honda.

Baloney!  At 6'1" you aren't really the best judge of this.  I have the legs of RC and I can feel every millimeter of difference in bike height.

What year is that CRF450?  The 2002-2008 bikes were not very small, but the 2009 and newer bikes are.  It's one of the reasons I love my 2012.  It's very compact and fits me better than any other bike.  The 2010+ Yamis are stupid tall.  They definitely suck for short inseam guys.  My buddy had a 2012 and I just about needed to use a stand to get going on the bike.  Even my 2006 YZ125 and YZ250 are taller than my CRF450.

Have you seen the bar setup Jeremy Martin is running on his YZF250?  Super-low.  The bar pad in the center sticks up higher than the controls.

Baloney! At 6'1" you aren't really the best judge of this. I have the legs of RC and I can feel every millimeter of difference in bike height.

What year is that CRF450? The 2002-2008 bikes were not very small, but the 2009 and newer bikes are. It's one of the reasons I love my 2012. It's very compact and fits me better than any other bike. The 2010+ Yamis are stupid tall. They definitely suck for short inseam guys. My buddy had a 2012 and I just about needed to use a stand to get going on the bike. Even my 2006 YZ125 and YZ250 are taller than my CRF450.

Have you seen the bar setup Jeremy Martin is running on his YZF250? Super-low. The bar pad in the center sticks up higher than the controls.

Do you have a.d.d. Or somethin? Or did you just read the first sentence and miss this picture? The 2010 yami's are stupid tall? Dude all three of those bikes are 450's. The seat is more squared of the new yami's and hard as a f'n rock! Mines a 06 and this next picture is mine next to a 2011. Pictures at a angle but you can clearly see there about the same. Once again these are both 450's. And I don't care how talk YOU are. I'm not a good judge of this? The OP said he's 6'2 homie. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402604438.030522.jpg Edited by Diggla117

I'll avoid making this a shit slinging fest and just stick to the facts.

First of all, you can't really judge the size of the bikes just by pictures of them sitting next to each other.

Next, I said the 02-08 are not all that small.  You have an 06.  Thanks for reinforcing what I said.  And, the Yamaha does look taller than your 2006 in that first pic.

Also, in that next pic, that 2011 does look lower than your 2006.  Thanks again for supporting what I said.

Yes, generally speaking, the 2010+ Yamis are tall bikes and the 2009+ Hondas are lower.  It might not be a big difference to someone who is 6'1" because either way your feet are on the ground.  But to someone who can barely reach the ground every millimeter counts.

• Like 1

Your judging by your toes which is really the seat height. Which all the yami's have a hard stiff seat where the newer crf's have a softer shorter SEAT... Seat foam solves this for the taller rider. You said I'm not the best judge but from what you said you obv short then both of us soooo I'm missing how you can help here.. OP let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by Diggla117

Yammys are taller on seat hieght at 39.1" and hondas at 37.6 which is noticably different. Any way just put standard linkage bak in n happy days!! :ph34r:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402587951.947993.jpg[/url]

Hey diggla with the bars you put on did you use the offset mounts or riser mounts? Unless both are the same?? I'm close to your height and my last ride I kept getting the sensation I was falling over the front of my bike, so I'm thinking Carmichael high bend fat bars and lower pegs like you suggested to OP

I'll avoid making this a shit slinging fest and just stick to the facts.

First of all, you can't really judge the size of the bikes just by pictures of them sitting next to each other.

Next, I said the 02-08 are not all that small.  You have an 06.  Thanks for reinforcing what I said.  And, the Yamaha does look taller than your 2006 in that first pic.

Also, in that next pic, that 2011 does look lower than your 2006.  Thanks again for supporting what I said.

Yes, generally speaking, the 2010+ Yamis are tall bikes and the 2009+ Hondas are lower.  It might not be a big difference to someone who is 6'1" because either way your feet are on the ground.  But to someone who can barely reach the ground every millimeter counts.

Ive ridden the 08 450, 2010 and a 2014 CRF250s.

The 10 and the 14 do feel noticibly smaller, albeit we are comparing 250 to 450. Thats coming off a KTM which a lot of people seem to think is tall (and my short arse struggles sometimes), the '08 didnt feel tiny like the 250's did.

My best mate who rides the 10 250 wants to upgrade to a YZ250 in the future, has ridden one and says its noticibly bigger, which is probably a good thing because he'd be atleast 6' 1" and makes the CRF250R look like a CRF230.

• Like 1

Hey diggla with the bars you put on did you use the offset mounts or riser mounts? Unless both are the same?? I'm close to your height and my last ride I kept getting the sensation I was falling over the front of my bike, so I'm thinking Carmichael high bend fat bars and lower pegs like you suggested to OP

I used the BRP bar mount specifically for the scotts steering dampener( bought from crf's only site). Yeah I know what you mean about going over the front and those pegs really helped with that as well because it also moves back 3/4 inch and there solid rectangle pegs so it's comfortable riding the back of them.. Between the pegs, mount, bars, lowering the front about a quarter inch and that back tire that's more tall and skinny than wide(cheepo from cycle gear and it's amazing traction on trails) I'm so much more comfortable on my bike. I stand up 90% of the time now and am sooo much faster.

Also I used the CR bend because I like the factory bar bend and as far as I can tell they're the same. Next time I'm getting the high's for sure.

Edited by Diggla117

Guts racing firm tall seat and cover

Fastway lowering pegs

BRP submount bar risers

....and it's still a bit too low when standing up, and could use another 20mm of rise

6'4"

On my dual sport I went up another 5/8" of stacked bar riser, and added another 1" to the seat height, over and above the Guts Tall height.

IMG_3475_zps59ab79b1.jpg

IMG_3476_zpsbcbc2f76.jpg

Being 6' 2" and owning a 09 crf450 I can tell you two things, one, that they are small bikes. Two, keep that link on there. It's to make it lower for short people. But to make they bike handle decent. That thing will knife so bad without it.

• Like 1

What about the cables being long enough to suit the high bars with risers? Or is there no issue with that?

What about the cables being long enough to suit the high bars with risers? Or is there no issue with that?

The only one that's close to being too tight it the front brake cable. I have a braided front line that's the stock length and it works but if I get the highs then I'm gonna need to order a longer line

That doesn't sound too bad. I've been reading about lowering the footpegs and some people don't agree with it as they say your feet can bind ruts etc and get an injury. Tho I looked at my brackets and when the footpegs would be altered lower it's still pretty close to being inline with the bottom of the chassis, so the chassis is going to hit the dirt before the peg.....in an upright position and if im turning well my foot isn't on the peg if I'm turning that sharp

That doesn't sound too bad. I've been reading about lowering the footpegs and some people don't agree with it as they say your feet can bind ruts etc and get an injury. Tho I looked at my brackets and when the footpegs would be altered lower it's still pretty close to being inline with the bottom of the chassis, so the chassis is going to hit the dirt before the peg.....in an upright position and if im turning well my foot isn't on the peg if I'm turning that sharp

Yeaahhh no the whole dragging the ruts.. It's only 3/4 of a inch down and 3/4 back and the bottom of the fastways are flat. They're the shit, a pure platform and feel way better than my previous aftermarket pegs

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402715415.337926.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402715475.704599.jpg

If you get then you'll see what I mean, that little bit makes a huge difference

Edited by Diggla117