Sign in to follow this  

Carb adjustment

Hi all, I was wondering if I can richen my 2005 yz250 by turning the main or pilot air screw, or do I have to open the carb, which I hope not. I'm not good with carbs, the bike has a sleeve and is 20 over and runs a little hot. Also what is the max temp that is safe? Thanks for your help

Hi all, I was wondering if I can richen my 2005 yz250 by turning the main or pilot air screw, or do I have to open the carb, which I hope not. I'm not good with carbs, the bike has a sleeve and is 20 over and runs a little hot. Also what is the max temp that is safe? Thanks for your help

The correct way to jet a carb is to open it up and change jets, main, pilot or both. Jetting a motor is done by sound and performance of the bike.

If you are "not good with carbs" leave it to a professional motorcycle mechanic.

The pilot circuit air screw is for fine adjustments only and will affect the whole throttle range from idle to wide open.

There really isn't a "safe" temp but generally a lean condition will make it run dangerously hot.

There are many good jetting tutorials around the web. Do a bit of research and reading and you'll find that it's not all that big of a deal. Just takes a few plugs, some time, and a little patience.