Sign in to follow this  

XR 650R fork seals

Hellow, I brought my XR 650R out this spring and rode it down the back steps, looked down and fork oil was all over the wheel and drive way. We used a dehumidifier last winter, other than age 2003, do you guys think the dehumidifier helped dry the seals out? Thanks Ted

why would you use a dehumidifier during winter in Ill. ?  I would think you'd wanna use a humidifier to counter the effects of dry air from a hot air furnace. But if you did, it might be enough to dry rubber although your fork seals are under rubber fork covers. I removed my rubber covers and am always spraying silicone on them and all rubber parts except the tires haha. Cheap maintenance.

why would you use a dehumidifier during winter in Ill. ?  I would think you'd wanna use a humidifier to counter the effects of dry air from a hot air furnace. But if you did, it might be enough to dry rubber although your fork seals are under rubber fork covers. I removed my rubber covers and am always spraying silicone on them and all rubber parts except the tires haha. Cheap maintenance.

Boiler heat, and not all basements are dry in Illinois. Bought new seals but i lost the paper work from Rob Barnum, i cant remember what weight fork oil he used when he revalved my forks. Does anyone know what Rob used in his fork rebuilds. Thanks Ted