Sign in to follow this  

Hpsd wont extend fully

14 450, 7 hours on the bike, finally getting around to getting some grease in the steering stem bearings (almost dry from the factory) and holding the steering damper in hand I notice it does not extend fully on its own as the manual says it should. Wondering if this is just a break in issue or if its time to open it up and inspect fill and bleed per manual?  (wonder if this is like some fork dampers with new seals that just wont fully extend no matter how well its bleed?) I did read the sticky and it seems the oil level from factory is often low?

I think those dampers stop extending after 5 minutes... garbage.

• Like 1

send it off to factory connection for a revalve so it actually works and you will be very happy

That's no joke. They do an excellent job!

Ok, so looking through the sticky and comparing with the Honda spec, I notice that Honda is very particular about setting or inspecting the depth of the free piston within around a half a millimeter depending on oil temperature, but Honda does this with a depth gauge that sits on or into? the subtank 07amj-mena100

Im guessing Honda sets the gauge into the subtank to where the tank case narrows, and guage from there, but that shoulder is likely more than a mm so using anything other than the honda gauge would likely induce more error and wouldnt get a measurement within 1mm.

So if we are skipping the honda method and going with the sticky, do we still account for free piston depth?   Im wondering how many of these even extend fully when new. Chasing my tail?

Edited by pieplatesnductape

Were you able to make any progress on this?

have been out of town. Seems like the fc revalve gets positive reviews think I'll give them a try.

Half the new ones won't extend all the way. Silly devices, really.

• Like 1